Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

When Man Introduces a Species, sometimes it 'can' be a good thing

TrevTrev Moderator
edited March 2014 in news & discussions
Generally speaking, when man introduces something into an environment to 'fix' something else, it usually goes terribly wrong.

eg: Cane Toads introduced into the State of Queensland (Australia) to kill the Sugar Cane Beetles was a huge disaster, not only did the toads not kill the beetles, they destroyed a lot of native species, as they are highly toxic to species eating them and over decades have spread across a lot of northern parts of Australia, killing species as they go when eaten by those animals.

However, this is an absolutely fascinating story of when wolves were reintroduced back into Yellowstone National Park where they had been absent for nearly 70 years.

These wolves changed the course of rivers, literally. Really!

You have to watch how this occurred to the absolute beneficial overall health of the park.

http://www.flixxy.com/how-wolves-changed-an-entire-ecosystem.htm

Comments

• Hi Trev!

Thank you heaps mate for sharing that link above the wolves!

One of the best story I have ever seen!

Great Stuff!

Sathler
    Australia
  • ZenonZenon Member
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the link. Awesome. I can't get enough of that stuff. Nothing can compete with natures balance.

We went to see Liam Neeson's The Grey and has to contain ourselves from laughing out loud. Before National Geographic and such they were portrayed and vicious, evil killing machines. Livestock farmers might have had a little to do with that. I have been travelling, fishing and hiking in the Canadian Boreal forest since 1980 and I have seen wolves twice. Very shy around people. They took down a moose just at the end of our lake a few weeks ago but you will never see them.

A lot of examples of that. Many aggressive fish species getting into Canada. Like you said human intervention to curb one problem usually creates a disaster. The only threat I have seen so far that has had a positive outcome is the Zebra Mussel. It has transformed a once dirty St. Lawrence to a crystal clear river however they have to clean out water intake and exits a lot more often. Not sure how that is going now as it has been a while since I followed that. All types of warnings to clean and scrub boats when moving between water bodies to prevent it's spread.

At one time I watched trees being destroyed all around my cottage because of the Spruce Bud Worm. It would eat the new spring pine needles. We would stand outside at night and could hear them crunching as they ate. I was told it was not native to Canada thus no natural predator. I looked it up but could not find any info so I can't back that. It was devastating none the less.
  • TrevTrev Moderator

An artist by any means of definition is not confined to certain media, it can be in everyday things, just like sand.

http://www.flixxy.com/ukraine-talent-sand-animation.htm