Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Canon 5DSR (5DS) Thread

MichaelVMichaelV Member
edited June 2015 in Canon
Mine is coming by UPS.  I will be getting it tonight and reporting back here on it.  

My buddy told me that I would be better off with the 5DS.  His logic was I would only see the difference in very large sized prints, but if there is MOIRE I would always see the difference no matter the print size.  My research indicated that only under certain conditions there would be MOIRE, but if there was some with the 5DSR there would also be some with the 5DS.  The 5DS MOIRE would not be as noticeable as with the 5DSR if it occurred.  

If I was in my 20s again and had the time I had back then I would take that 5DSR and take a week-long tour around the area getting pictures of the landscape.  Unfortunately, my time is at a premium these days so we shall see...

I will report back here and upload images to Flickr of the time Im having with the camera.  My expectation is to get half the ISO performance of the 5D Mark III.  Maybe I can take comparison landscape pictures with the 5D Mark III and the 5DSR side by side.

Comments

• TonyTTonyT Member
    Look forward to your write up and thoughts on it Michael.
  • Unfortunately, I missed the UPS man for the second time.  I purchase mine from Berger Bros on Long Island NY which Ive found is easier to get hard to get lenses and bodies versus B&H Photo Video.  I was able to get the Sigma 150-600 from Berger much sooner than B&H.  The owner of the store, Brad Berger, even gave me his cellphone number.  He gave me the choice of the UPS leaving it at the door or "Signature only".  I went with "Signature only" which is a pain, but I wouldnt trust this being left out on the porch for any length of time.  Ive never been to Berger Bros on Long Island and told it was not an impressive store front.  What matters to me is just getting the camera in the first place and if B&H is all sold out, Berger is the next best thing. 

Since I have a Canon 5D Mark III, I can compare it exactly up against the 5DSR. 
  • edited June 2015

Hmmm,

so you did go with the Canon instead of the Sony?  Well, good luck with it Michael.  Was hoping you had ordered one, and when you did get it, an honest review of it, and if it met your expectations.

• The future 5DX and 1DX Mark II is an 18 megapixel backlit sensor designed to squeeze as much ISO as possible. The 6D Mark II will be the all purpose full frame combining megapixel and ISO.

The 5DSR was designed to compete with medium frame and serves that purpose.

I am a little disappointed Canon decided to go with the 18 megapixel sensor for the 5DX and might get the Sony for event photography. Im waiting for the reviews and tests first. I would also like to rent one myself to see how it fits into what I do.

I did want to get a medium frame, but too expensive. The 5DSR serves that purpose. I will use it for landscapes and portraits.
  • Just picked it up. Had it delivered to a UPS Store. Highly suggest having it shipped to a store vs to the home. It looks exactly the same as the 5D Mark III with very few differences. Seems like they had a lot of Mark III bodies and converted them into 5DSRs.

One thing I do with any new body is reflect on what I did wrong with the other bodies I owned. My poor 5D Mark III had been scraped a few times. So on my 5DSR Im going to get a battery grip, an L bracket and a cheap 6 dollar LCD glass protector. The L Bracket serves more as a bumper to protect the left side than its original intention as a mounting device. Im also going to place this in a seperate case from the other gear so it doesnt touch anything. Im also finding that hard cases are preferred over soft. Soft cases are easily trampled on and crushed while in a trunk.
  • edited June 2015
    I'l keep my soft cases sling Michael for walking around...Hard cases are terrible for that...Good for general transport,,yes.  On a plan, I'v also used my Sling pack as my carry on. I don't ever leave my gear out of my site...Cameras and such. Stands, Brackets, umbrellas, softboxes, all that stuff can be stored wherever.
  • MichaelVMichaelV Member
    edited June 2015
    Most of my transportation involves the trunk of my car.  If it goes into a trunk or a van, I use a hard case specifically a large wheeled Pelican case.  Depending upon the venue and whats at hand, Ill use a soft-case.  The hard-case is also used as a security device.  I have steel cable and lock and its useful.  For airplanes, I have the Tamrac Big Wheels luggage case which seems to work well to protect my equipment.  For transport, I always separate the body and other gear.  Make sure no equipment is touching each other.  Make sure nothing is resting on top of the equipment.  When it gets really really busy for me, its especially hard to properly transport the equipment.  Sometimes I have literally zero time...
    edited June 2015
    One thing to strongly note is the 5DS/5DSR has the same iso performance as a modern APS-C camera. If you are used to shooting at iso 2500 to 3200 or higher this is not the tool to do it.

Its a tripod camera or a daylight camera or one that has to be used with strong flashes or lots and lots of strong tungsten hotlights. Take your pick. Its not designed for low light and it absolutely loves to be placed on a tripod with the timer set.

Absolutely, this will not replace your bread and butter wedding camera. Dont even think about it.
  • My opinion is that I think that may be a little overstated. On the Nikon side, there was similar talk when the D800 came out with a big jump in resolution (36 megapixels) over existing models at the time. People were concerned it needs to be on a tripod, needs fast shutter speeds, needs low ISO, needs the best lenses, the D800E model with the cancelled out low pass filter would show moire, etc. Over time, I think most agree these were all overblown. Resolutions have continued to rise and more cameras now have no low pass filter. Shooting on a tripod, using fast shutter speeds, using the best lenses, etc. - those help any camera.

The fact is, the 5DS/R has roughly the same size pixels (slightly larger actually) than the Canon 7D Mark II so concerns you mention would need to apply to the 7D as well. And I don't hear people saying the 7D can't be a wedding camera, or shot at ISO3200, or needs a tripod, or needs very strong lighting, etc.

Time will tell, but I think similar to the D800/D800E and now Nikon D810 experience, the 5DS/R cameras could eventually be seen as high quality, high resolution, general purpose workhorses.
    edited June 2015
    The Nikon D810 has less noise than the 5DSR or the 7D Mark II.  The 5D Mark III has less noise than the  D810.  On July 15th, the DXO modules will come in for the 5DSR and I will be able to comb out some of the noise with the DXO Optics PRIME.  

All these are different cameras for a specific purpose and one is not better than the other in general, but one is better than the other in terms of specific tasks.  If you were going into a low-lit environment, you are best to take the 5D Mark III.  If you are trying to get a shot of the pope with your tele or doing wildlife photography and taking pictures of songbirds the 7D Mark II is the tool.  For daylight landscapes probably the 5DSR is where its at.  If you are a videographer, get the Sony A7IIR.  If you are truly seeking that one size fits all camera which can do everything good (but nothing astoundingly well unless thats video) probably the Sony might be where its at.

The Nikon D810 is a bit of a compromise between high megapixels and low light photography.  Its clearly not the best in lowlight, but its not the worst.

This article has low-light tests of all cameras mentioned:   http://thenewcamera.com/canon-5ds-r-high-iso-test/

Just my personal opinions.  We are all different in our workflow so others will be different in opinion.
    edited June 2015
    Here are a few sample experimental photos I took which I worked through Lightroom 6.  

The two photos are from a gig I did recently where I got the camera on that day and decided to snap a few photos with it at the gig.  The other photos are from a happy hour on the Hudson River I attended on Friday aboard a ship.

You can click on the photos to get to the Flickr page to see the EXIF data and the original sized JPG.

0H3A0214

0H3A0168

0H3A0271

0H3A0233

0H3A0033
  • edited June 2015
    "One thing to strongly note is the 5DS/5DSR has the same iso performance as a modern APS-C camera. If you are used to shooting at iso 2500 to 3200 or higher this is not the tool to do it.

Its a tripod camera or a daylight camera or one that has to be used with strong flashes or lots and lots of strong tungsten hotlights. Take your pick. Its not designed for low light and it absolutely loves to be placed on a tripod with the timer set.

Absolutely, this will not replace your bread and butter wedding camera. Dont even think about it."

I bet it would work great as a wedding camera. Why not? The ISO is the same as the 5D MK III AFTER you downscale the 5Ds images to be the same size as the 5D MK III. Same thing happened with the D800 series: folks were downsizing and the noise was great. 

Brian (The Digital Picture) has already done some noise test and found that the noise is the same as the 5D MK III after down-sampling.

Once the price drops on these cameras, I will pick one up! It will be the 5DS-R because the files look amazing.
  • Well done Trevor. I never thought to use the lower resolutions. It also has a crop mode too. Im wondering why use the crop mode?
  • Extra "reach" for wildlife or to crop in camera....Nikon has had this feature for a while.

Rudy
  • First 5, beautiful magazine quality images.
  • Thanks.  Im still struggling a little with the Canon 5DSR.  I think what Canon wanted to do was to make a camera which was very familiar to everyone so there wouldnt be a learning curve.  However, its still a different camera.  Its also forced me to really dive into and learn editing in Lightroom as its the only raw processor which can do these photos.  Its actually a simple program, but there are little tricks to it.  Usually I use Lightroom to catalog and process everything through DXO.  The DXO modules come out on July 15th for this camera.
    edited July 2015
    The camera is in Live-View mode. Canon 5DSR and Canon 24mm 2.8 IS. Holding it with one hand. Quick snap. I am driving.

As you might have guessed, played with the colors in Lightroom.  The sky really wasnt that blue.  I did not use a Circular Polarizer.

For the originals, you can click somewhere below and it goes to my Flickr account to see them:

George Washington Bridge, New York, NY by Michael VadonGeorge Washington Bridge, New York, NY by Michael Vadon
    edited July 2015
    DXO Optics module just came in.  I am happy with noise levels at 1600.  Not as big of a problem as I thought especially with DXO Optics Prime.  Now when it comes to Landscape photography those guys demand super sharp, no noise, etc.  so these photographs wouldnt be good for landscape, but the higher ISOs are doable for events.  

This is at ISO 800 and DXO Optics Prime.

'

Governor of Florida Jeb Bush at VFW in Hudson, New Hampshire, July 8th, 2015 by Michael Vadon<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ISO 1250

Governor of Florida Jeb Bush at VFW in Hudson, New Hampshire, July 8th, 2015 by Michael Vadon<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ISO 1600

So I am satisfied with the noise levels and DXO Optics at ISO 1600.  Next time will try 2000-3200 range.  
    edited July 2015
    Sunrise over Seaside Park New Jersey, Jersey Shore.  Click on picture to go to full size image in Flickr account.

Photos were processed two ways.  First in DXO and exported as DNG.  DNG then processed through Lightroom.

Sunrise<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sunrise<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
  • Here is a comparison:

THIS PHOTO BELOW WAS TAKEN WITH THE CANON 5D MARK III:

Donald Trump Laconia Rally, Laconia, NH by Michael Vadon July 16 2015

THIS PHOTO BELOW WAS TAKEN WITH THE CANON 5DSR
    Donald Trump Laconia Rally, Laconia, NH by Michael Vadon July 16 2015