Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Why Im getting the EOS M3...sample photos to come

The EOS M3 is not available in the USA, but you can find one at European and Asian camera stores.  It is basically the T6i/T6s in mirrorless form.  I do have the Canon EOS M currently and its been a great personal/travel camera.  Its compact and it doesnt look like a DSLR so it doesnt attract the same attention.  Its also compatible with all my lenses and it has very familiar menus similar to what you would find on any Canon camera.  

When Im at an event, Ive noticed that many people enjoy it being tweeted and instagramed out.  At first, I was doing it with the Eyefi card but it was really clunky and sometimes the Eyefi card didnt work so well.  The Eyefi card soon got relegated to sitting in my card wallet unused.  I started using my cellphone to Instagram and Tweet out photos/videos of the event, but the cellphone has only ok quality at times.  Not the type of quality I want out there under my name.  So I came up with the Canon EOS M3 which will provide APS-C quality photos on the go when I want to Instagram and Tweet.  As an alternative, I could wait until I get back home to tweet and instagram a few photos, but when the event is over I have found people have already lost interest.  Its important to tweet and Instagram...Facebook...while the event is going on.  After is too late.

The Canon EOS M3 has NFC and WIFI built into it.  I can just put my phone against the M3 and transfer the image or video immediately like its shown in this video:
 So tweeting and instagram during the event is much much easier...less clunky.  

I got mine, body only, for $400 shipped from Japan and placing my EOS M up on Ebay which I purchased for $300 when it was on sale from B&H minus the lens.  I figure I can get $150 for my EOS M and so the upgrade fee will be about $250.

I will acknowledge there are quite a few other cameras out there with NFC and WIFI especially from Sony.  However, the little M3 is compatible with all my various lenses and its more familiar to me.  I dont have to relearn another camera with the M3.  The quality from the M3 with the 24 megapixel sensor and Digic 6 will be a step up from some of the Rebel cameras I have owned in the past.  So Im very familiar with what the M3 can produce.   

I will post some sample photos when I get it.  

Comments

• danfazdanfaz Member
    This sounds very interesting! Looking forward to your pics.
  • MichaelVMichaelV Member
    edited July 2015
    One thing which I will do is get the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS just for the EOS M3.  The Sigma is a relatively cheap EF-S mount lens.  While its heavier and longer than the EF-M 18-55 lens, its a 2.8 which will take in more light and is optically better/sharper with image stabilization.  This will make the camera less compact, but still lighter and more compact than carrying around my 5D Mark III with a larger full frame lens.  The 2.8 aperture will make it better for what I plan to do with it which is to tweet and instagram from events.  

The Sigma 18-35 is the best EF-S mount lens out there, but its heavier, longer, lacks image stabilization and is lacking that extra focal length.  If I really need to get that sharp with the EOS M3 I'll just grab one of my primes for the job.  The Sigma 18-35 is actually equivalent to any of the Sigma primes.  There is almost no difference between putting the 18-35 (at 35mm) on your EF-S body and their 35mm 1.4 Art lens.  The lack of image stabilization means the 18-35 might be best on the tripod in low light situations.  My needs dictate a street lens which is one that has IS.

My desire is for a greater degree of sharpness with better light.  I also noticed on DXOMark the EF-M 18-55 is a F4.8 lens rather than 3.5.
  • dbrunodbruno Member
    Michael - I have the Sigma 17-50, and I really like it a lot. I don't think though, to the best of my knowledge, that it is an EF-S mount. Unless you can buy either an EF or EF-S. I think you will be happy with that lens.
  • The Sigma 17-50 Canon version is an EF-S (crop sensor mount).  The EOS M is an EF-M mount, but there is an adapter to fit most any Canon lens.  Im not sure if I want to go this route exactly putting that lens on the EOS M.  I think Im just going to use my Canon 16-35mm F4 IS for the EOS M.  

I suspect they might be trying to replace the Sigma 17-50.  There are some excellent deals on it right now for $469 new with 4 year warranty suggesting to me they might be trying to clear out the old stock so they can introduce a new version.  
  • MichaelVMichaelV Member
    edited July 2015
    Instead of getting the 17-50 for the EOS M I have decided to get cheaper high performance primes which I can also use with the 5DSR. The 5DSR requires a higher degree of stabilization and so my lens choice will reflect that need.

The Canon 40mm STM- No IS on this one, but its a very small lens and easy to handhold. Super small and super cheap.

The Canon 50mm 1.8 STM- Same thing with the 40mm except a little bigger.

So Ill have the 40, the 50 and I currently own a 24mm F2.8 IS. These lenses will help me both with the EOS M3 and the 5DSR.

Larger lenses without IS are no good to handhold with either camera. So for my Sigma 50mm, for example, thats a monopod ot tripod deal with the 5DSR. However, I could easily handhold with the small plastic Canon 50mm 1.8 STM.
  • dbrunodbruno Member
    The Canon 40mm STM- No IS on this one, but its a very small lens and easy to handhold. Super small and super cheap.

I have this one as well, and use it from time to time when I'm walking around. Great little lens for the price, nice and sharp.
  • The Canon 40mm STM I was just comparing against some more expensive lenses...specifically against the Canon 24-70 2.8 II.  At 2.8 the Canon 24-70 2.8 II is ahead, but not by much.  At 3.2 and up, they appear to be about the same.  The STM lens is $125 and the 24-70 $2k Im guessing.