Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Best Nikon SLR for teenager

Hi: I am trying to help a teenage friend choose a Nikon SLR. I think she only has a P&S now and wants to graduate to an SLR. She has access to Nikon lenses. I asked her price range and she said $100 to $200 so I am looking at the B&H used department. (I am hoping a parent may chip in and the price range will increase. I do not think she's aware of the cost of cameras). 

B&H has a variety of bodies available from $129 and on up. I know they may sell but at the moment they have D40, 50, 60, 80, 90..... D200, D3200 and D3300, D5000 and D5100. My questions here are:

-What older Nikon body might be best for a teenager and beginner? Are a lot of these just too old now? Especially re new computer software and compatibility. 
-Should I try to find an FX body or would the DX be OK for now?
-She doesn't need anything too sophisticated but I hope she can find something she can learn from too, so needs to have manual mode, which I think all of them do. But given her level now it also need auto mode. 

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm looking for quick answers to avoid researching more. Just wondering if anyone has a teen or has any thoughts on what might be best for someone at this stage. Thanks!

Comments