Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

DIY Gel Holder for Speedlite

dbrunodbruno Member
edited June 2016 in flash & lighting
We don't use overhead projectors at work any longer, but in a cabinet outside my office, there was a box with some of the clear transparency slides. So I had an idea.

I grabbed a sheet and brought it home, and fashioned a gel holder for my flash. It took a couple of tries, but I got what I needed - a pocket where I can put the gel, and a "tab" that slides in where the wide panel and bounce card live. I really creased the material, and it really holds its shape. I trimmed the pocket so it would not interfere with my BFT.

Each flash case has three of these - one for tungsten, one for old-style florescent, and one blank. There are a couple of places I work where there is a mixture of different lighting from room to room, so I carry these things in my pocket. I go into one room, and I stick the right one into the slot. Change it out as I need to. There is no sticky stuff or Velcro or anything on my flashes.

I don't know what other type of material would work. I just wanted to share this because they are very handy, convenient, and don't make a mess.

Dave

PS Sorry a couple of pics are out of focus. I just learned what is meant by the "Macro Distance".

Comments

• rs_eosrs_eos Member
    Nice.  I do like that there's a gap between the flash head and the gel.  Solutions where the gel is put right up against the flash head can end in disaster.  For example, I've seen videos with melted gels fused to the flash head when the flash tube was very close to the front face (e.g. when zooming the flash to minimal setting).

The solution I use is the clear plastic gel holder that comes with the Canon 600EX-RT.  I was quite annoyed that Canon dropped that feature from the recently-announced generation 2 version.  Thankfully, I'm happy with the first-generation units I have and see using them for many years to come.   I created a set of 88 unique gels from Rosco sample packs and have between two and four copies of each.  It was quite the undertaking, but am really enjoying having all those options.

And because of the curved nature of the gel holder, I was able to have an information label on each gel that provides their part number, mired-shift if applicable, and how many stops of light will be lost.  The label doesn't block any of the light.