Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Profoto B1/B2 - Which modifier do you use for portraits & weddings?

Good evening all,

I've finally reached the limitations of my current speedlites. It's amazing how powerful they are but it's equally amazing how quickly you end up on full power and draining batteries quicker than the time it takes to change them. As a result I've decided to invest in the Profoto B1. From Neil's work alone it's not difficult to see why these are such a popular "go to" kit.

Although I have no issue investing in modifiers in various shapes and sizes I just wondered what everyone else is using and if there is one modifier in particular which is used more often than not.

I will be shooting weddings & general portraits. So the light modifier would ideally need to cover two people and a simple umbrella would be used for the groups.

Your thoughts, theories & experience would all be appreciated.

Regards,

Gordon

Comments

• For portraits, I use the Westcott 36" Rapidbox Octa. Other times, I'll use the Profoto 2x3 softbox.

• Thank you PDH7981. I hadn't considered the Westcott options plus they have a new beauty dish style rapid box as well. 

I also managed to find this in the forums where a 1x3 is highly recomended. Just in case anyone is intrested too.

• I ended up purchasing the Profoto OCF Beauty Dish.  I wish I had waited because Westcott introduced their Beauty Dish just days after I purchased the Profoto.  Nothing wrong with the Profoto but I really like Westcott's collapsible design.
  • Sold5Sold5 Member
    Hi PHD7981,

Is this the rapid softbox you are talking about?

http://www.fjwestcott.com/rapid-box-beauty-dish-with-profoto-speedring

Di you think a 24 inch is the best size for wedding portraits?

Thanks.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Mostly this: Westcott 36" octabox
    But I also bring white umbrellas with me.  45" 

Fort the photos in this article - People skills for portrait & wedding photographers - I used the 2' OCT beauty dish. But it might be too small for groups. 
  • Thanks Neil. I've used a shoot through umbrella with my B1, I guess it's still the best for family group shots. Hard to get the Westcott 36 inch in Europe but I'll probably order it on Amazon UK and wait for it to get back in stock. I do like the control that a softbox gives vs an umbrella
  • Hi Gordon. I currently use the glow series of soft boxes and have grids if needed. I also always have good old fashioned umbrella's too! I had the paul c. buff rapid series of soft boxes for my alien bees, but I found they took up so much space in my kit. So when I got my new lights I went the other way with soft boxes.  I learned that building a soft box on site really didn't take long and once built I didn't need to take it apart till I was done with it for the day. I know what some of you are thinking.........but Jay, we have several locations to go to. I just threw that sucker in the trunk prebuilt and off I went.