Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

20-200 F2.8 VR1 - repairs

hkulahkula Member
edited August 2016 in Nikon
My 70-200 f2.8 VR1 lens of many years has suddenly stopped auto focusing. I have tried it on a D800 and D700 the result is the same, the auto focus no longer works.

I am considering sending it into Nikon for repair but first I would like to ask a few questions to the many users on this forum.
1. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
2. What was the issue?
3. Approx. cost to repair?
4. Worst case scenario cost to repair.
5. Given the lens is in mint condition is it worth repairing.

Thanks

Comments

• Yes, I definitely think it's worth it to repair it. I cannot help you with the cost as I haven't run into this. But these lenses are so pricey that, depending on the cost, I think you should repair it. Plus, they hold their value I believe so you will be able to get more if you ever sell it. If you do not repair it, I bet you'd still get a lot for it on eBay. I recently sold a well-used D700 on eBay that had a faulty hotshoe and I explained about the hotshoe and still got I think almost $600 for it. (The non-faulty ones were going for 700-800 and a little higher.)

I don't want to insult you so I'm sorry to ask -- but have you checked the A/M button the side of the lens? I know, you surely have. Also, did you check that the cameras are set to S focus mode, not C or M? 

• Thank you for your comments