Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Photoshop CC 2017

Well thank you Photoshop for changing my "repeat blur" command CNTRL-F to now be the Search function. Now, to do "repeat blur", I have to select CNTRL-ALT-F.  Annoying!! and hard to get these fingers to cover that keystroke combination in one hand while using my Wacom pen in the other. 

Rant over.

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Good old Adobe, gotta love those wankers sitting in their think tanks wondering "like, what can we do for the new version to tweak it, oh, I know, let's shift a couple of keys around so those good 'ol boys have to have those stubby fingers working overtime. Phew! We did good, time for a beer".

Yep, every single update, something changes and not for the better. I actually still have CS5 installed for bulk crops, (as in up to 2000 of say a Prom) because CS6 came an a godawful 'bounding box' which you cannot get rid of (and don't tell me you can choose under the drop down menu 'Use Classic Mode' because once you change a crop size/orientation it reverts back to the 'new' style, even using the same size/orientation if you close out of Photoshop, it reverts back to the new style) then CC came along, nope, no better, same crud.

When CS6 come along, they 'helpfully' hid all the filters, you had to go into preferences to 'show'  Filter Gallery as some of my actions would not work, and the damn list goes on to this day and now Dave has the 'honour' of having Adobe's 'help' to brighten up his day also.

Welcome to the club Dave. :(

• Thanks Trev... yes, I saw the update and rolled my eyes even before updating to it.  I just knew something would get changed.  I'm sure I've not found everything... but that particular function, I use a lot.  Oh sigh.  Life goes on and we adjust.  I just wonder why they didn't decide to make the search feature CNTRL-ALT-F and let good enough alone.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Dave,

Just off Tangents here for a One Perfect Moment (nice puns, ehhh!!! ), how is the new PC you got a few months back, and the screen? Did you get it sorted, wasn't there some kind of problem or am I mixing it up with someone else.

• Nope... that was me.  All is well.  It's probably been closer to a couple of years than months :-).  As Kermit the Frog would say, "Times fun when you're having flies".    Or something like that!
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Years, sheesh.... Alzheimers kicking in here mate....

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    It's not just Adobe ... it's all of the tech companies, over-engineering stuff that already works well. 

For example ... my iPhone 7 now has a fidgety home button. It doesn't work as well or as intuitively as it did on the iPhone 6.

It's not just the usual griping about having to adjust to something new ... it's that it really is unnecessary so often to *have* to adjust when things worked perfectly well before. 

(No, I'm not in a good mood.)
  • Oh and one more fun fact I just learned... CC2017 is no longer compatible with NIK software.  Now ain't that just dandy!!  I am so not happy right now. 
  • Ok... very quick update.  After some Googling and asking some forum questions regarding the NIK software issue, I was able to quickly resolve.  I found this note on one of the forums which gave me my NIK collection back.  Worked flawlessly.   

Photoshop will save the plugins folder from the previous
    installation here (Windows): C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC
    2015.5\Plug-ins

Just copy the plugins in the Plugins folder from here to the
    Plugins folder here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Plug-ins

I did it and it worked.. Whew!!

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Dave,

That's what you had to do when you got the new system remember, copy the plug-ins folder to the version you have, no different to installing a new version of CC, just copy from old to new, goes for Workspaces also if they don't work.

Glad to see you figured it out though mate.

• Yes, I guess I had forgotten.  The last two times I've upgraded, "most" of the plug-ins moved along and only required a few tweaks.  But, NIK Collection has been a problem child both times.