Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

How do you store your soft boxes?

Just finishing up studio construction and looking for some creative ideas on how to store soft boxes. I've got a 6' x 10' (10' ceiling) closet set aside for them. I' remembering seeing something where someone mounted them with the diffuser side to the wall and used bungee cords like a sling that are screwed to the wall. That seemed better than trying to use large J hooks that you use in the garage where the diffuser side would be away from the wall taking up more space. . Any thoughts?
I've got a 4'x6' and 5' octa, plus 3 assorted strip boxes and some smaller beauty dishes.

Comments

• Not sure how helpful my comment is, but when I had a full time operating studio, I had just left them put together and on the floor or on the light themselves and rolled them to the sides. With that said and if I was organized and planning on doing things the right way, I would probably just get little L brackets and put the boxes ( face on)  hanging on the wall. (Just have to un velcro a little bit of the diffuse material on the top to slide the box on the bracket.  As of now, I just tear apart and store in a rolling case. I do a lot of location work and need to roll out fast. 

-Jay 
  • rs_eosrs_eos Member
    I currently own all Westcott modifiers.  For those that didn't come with their own carry case (e.g. the Apollo line), I picked up two of their travel cases.  I then have a 4-foot wide, 5-shelf wire unit where I then store those bags along with all my other equipment (umbrellas, umbrella adapters, collapsable lightstands, etc.).

If I'm doing projects at least once a week, I will leave some of them open and typically still mounted on my c-stands.  If less frequent, I will collapse them down and store them.

It does take some time to store them often, but I find that when everything is stored, I will think more critically about my next project. i.e. I don't feel compelled to use the modifiers already set up; I will think what would match my vision the best.