Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Nikon focus issue.

I like shooting close ups with shallow DoF.  I have both Nikon D4 and D5 and 2 of my fav lenses; 105 macro and 85mm 1:1.4.  All high-end pro gear.  However, when shooting, especially, close ups with shallow DoF with either body and either lens, and placing the focus target right on the spot I want in focus; only about 1 in 5 shots are dead on in focus.  The rest are off by a fraction of an inch.  It's not one body or one lens; seems to be a weakness in Nikon gear?  I always take at least 5 shots hoping that one will be spot on.  Is this typical? 

Comments

• dbrunodbruno Member
    Chris - This may be an obvious question, but have you tried calibrating the lenses? I'm a Canon shooter, but I'm sure your cameras have this capability (?).

Dave
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I have this issue with both my Nikon D4 bodies, even though I have sent them in for focus calibration twice during the past year. I know by now that I can't trust the outer AF areas. 

My D5 is pretty good though. 

So perhaps it is something we unfortunately have to accept as a limitation of our gear - we can't trust the outer AF areas when shooting with shallow DoF.