Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Transition from Speedlights to B1 or B2's

Photography is not my full time gig, but my business is growing. Mainly seniors and families, with a few weddings here and there. Recently landed corporate headshot contract (200+), and doing cheer-leading team pictures in a month or so. And gearing up to do more team photos.

My off camera SB-800's with radiopoppers has served me well, but it is time to move up. I need more powerful light(s) to do teams and groups.

Reading reviews on the Phofoto B1's and B2's. I do see that Neil has mounted the B1 and B2 on a monopod handled by an assistant. Love the weight and portability of the B2, and like the idea of a B2's location kit, but I would probably end up getting an additional power pack so could position the lights far apart (~$1,300...ouch!).

Thinking of getting one B1 now, + the remote. Then adding a second B1 in the future.

Is the B1 too heavy and large to have my assistant handle for senior shoots? Could I even put it on a stand and omit the assistant?

Thanks, Doug

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Doug ... the B1 will be too heavy to leave outdoors on a light-stand if you attach an umbrella or softbox to it. 

For that kind of work, the B2 would be the better choice - it has the heavier part (which is the battery and electronics) separate, and this can be mounted or hung from a strap, lower down on the light-stand. The head of the B2 is also very light-weight .... which would make it easier for an assistant to hold up. 

That said, I have two B1 flashes, and don't own a B2 ... and I would make the same decision if I had to purchase these again.