Welcome to the forum! As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.
Photography permits
  • dgvdgv
    Photography is a passionate hobby of mine. My cousin recently asked if i could do a 'trash the dress' session for her around NYC...she was interested in photographing at the Grand Central station, Central park, Brooklyn Bridge and Times square. I'd like to know if i will need to get permits to do a portrait session at these locations. It will just be the bride,groom and myself..no tripods, lightstands, etc... I hear NYC is quite paranoid of folks walking around with an SLR.
  • Neil vNNeil vN
    Administrator
    Grand Central Station ... they will most likely stop you.
    I've shot there a few times without being interrupted ... and other times I was stopped and told I needed a permit. So this could swing wither way.

Times Square ... no issues at all. Just don't obstruct a sidewalk.

Brooklyn Bridge .. no issues either.

And I don't know that New Yorkers are wary of people with DSLRs ... there are a zillion tourists, and a zillion photographers. Anyone who is paranoid of being photographed, won't have a good time in New York.
  • Neil once pointed to this website in his blog: Here is the NYC Office of Film, Theater, and Broadcasting policy in regards to permit requirements.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/news/important_info_permits.shtml

Unfortunately, city parks and other property like Grand Central have other requirements. I have no idea if the permit from the above NYC office will also give you permission to Grand Central Station.
  • dgvdgv
    Thanks guys. I've read quite a number of blog entries where photographers detail their experience with law enforcement officials and civilians at NYC.

I think i'll take a chance with Grand Central terminal. The FAQ section of their site says

"Anyone is free to take pictures inside Grand Central. However, if you would be using professional equipment like a tripod, you would need to get a permit through Metro-North's Corporate & Public Affairs Department."

An interesting link...
    http://content.photojojo.com/tips/legal-rights-of-photographers/

Thanks a lot again!!
    Derryl.
  • If you are sporting a battery grip, a large lens, and a flash unit, security at the Grand Central Terminal will likely think it is professional work and stop you. Be prepared with a Plan B.
  • dgvdgv
    I wrote to a person who is responsible for photography permits at Grand Central Terminal and this is the response i received. I will keep a print of this email in my camera bag. Hopefully this helps someone out there...
    >>>>>

If you will just be using a handheld camera, nothing else, then technically you do not need a permit. Just be sure to keep out of the way of pedestrian traffic, stay in the public areas, and do not go anywhere beyond the train gates (track/platform area).

Meredith A. Conti
    Corporate Relations Rep.
    Corporate & Public Affairs
    MTA Metro-North Railroad
    mconti@mnr.org

Phone: 212-340-4825
    Fax: 212-340-4930
  • Neil vNNeil vN
    Administrator
    Good! Nice to know.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged