Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Outdoor fill in flash

going to watch a friends band play outside.  Thought of using my A-1 with an umbrella reflector and voice controlled monopod.  I wonder, always, with fill flash, what setting for white balance?  

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Mary,

If it's daylight, WB is usually around 5600K-6000K, even with flash, but if it's early morning or late afternoon when it's naturally warm sunlight you may want to drop that a bit otherwise it will be way too warm for skin tones, unless you want that look.

If you are using flash as the 'main' light source, still the same, around 5600-6000K; if early morning/late afternoon and just fill with sun on them, you use around 3800-4500K range, but it's a 'shoot and see' thing, you won't want to end up with 'orange skin' in that case, but still retain a small amount of warmness to reflect the mood/time.

Also with just fill, it won't be anywhere near the main light so keeping your camera at a good temp would be important.

I know some people just put their camera in 'Flash WB' and be done with it, but I prefer to manually set my WB via Kelvin adjustments.

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Most importantly - shoot in RAW. Then the choice of WB is less of a concern. 
  • What if you only have an on camera flash (Speedlight not pop up)?
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Same thing, off/on camera flash and also what Neil says, if you are able to edit, shoot in RAW format, much easier to control your White Balance by fine tuning in a RAW program, like Lightroom or Photoshop's Adobe Camera Raw, or others if you use them.