Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Nikon d7000 autofocus issues?

clarahclarah Member
edited May 2012 in news & discussions
I'm having a hard time with my d7000--I just got it off of craiglist (maybe my first mistake) but the previous owners are trying to still help me with autofocus issues. My d5000 seemed faster and more accurate... anyone else have these problems with autofocus? I really don't want to have to send it in.

Comments

• NaftoliNaftoli Member
    issue with focusing speed or issue with backfocus?
  • clarahclarah Member
    both.
  • NaftoliNaftoli Member
    as far as focus speed i never heard of that, as far as backfocus it seems its a pretty widespread problem with the d7000 although its hard to know how widespread b/c many people think they have a problem when its just there incorrect focusing technique and photographic knoledge thats the problem, that said i assume ur using single point auto focus
  • clarahclarah Member
    I'm using AF-A right now but I did try AF-C and AF-S. My d5000 was faster at autofocus which seems strange to me.
  • NaftoliNaftoli Member
    which lens r u using, if ur using afa i assume ur not totally familiar with how focusing works in relation to DOF, never the less here is a link to a similar thread i started awhile ago http://neilvn.com/forum/discussion/512/sent-it-in-twice-but-it-still-back-focuses#Item_11
  • clarahclarah Member
    Thanks- I'm pretty new to all of this. I did see that one and a store suggested I calibrate my lenses.

I'm using 50,, f 1.4G right now.
  • NaftoliNaftoli Member
    btw i have a d5000 and d7000 also as far as focusing speed i have no idea why ur d7000 is focusing slower try testing more extensively using afs and a tripod
  • NaftoliNaftoli Member
    thats a great lens to perform tests with, download the focus chart put ur camera on a tripod 1/200 of a sec, flash set to manual, lens wide open or close to it
  • RichardRichard Member
    Clarah: you can download the D7000 manual from Nikon's website. On page 94 of the manual, you'll see a discussion of the AF-A mode. In essence, when using a G lens, AF-A functions as a face detection mode. I don't use this mode and therefore don't know if this mode is slower than AF-C or S. In the AF-A mode, you are letting the camera decide the focus point which may not work as desired. Have you tried the other modes to compare focus speed and accuracy? In C or S mode, you choose the focus point.
    I use this model camera quite a bit for fast moving subjects and shoot primarily in C and S mode. The only time I have trouble with attaining focus is if the subject is vey close and moving very fast directly towards me. This shouldn't be too much of an issue at the average wedding. Richard
  • clarahclarah Member
    Now I can't choose the single focus point...
  • NaftoliNaftoli Member
    hold down the focus button located beneath the lens on the front of the body and rotate the command dials
  • clarahclarah Member
    Yep I did that.
  • NaftoliNaftoli Member
    and nothing happens?
  • clarahclarah Member
    I choose AF-S and the dot function and I still can't choose the point on my lcd.
  • NaftoliNaftoli Member
    oh there maybe a menu function that locks it too center point, either way if its set to single point and thecenter point is highlighted thats what u should use as the center af point is the best
  • clarahclarah Member
    I think I thought it was slower because it kept searching for the focus....I have it on 11 pts now and that has helped a little. I need to do a little more testing with my daughter. She moves a lot and that was where I had a harder time with fast focusing. Any tips on that? I mainly shoot children.
  • NaftoliNaftoli Member
    its an article of focus basics but that doesnt explain why when ur camera is set to single point af u cannot move it with the multi selector
  • clarahclarah Member
    I had it on lock... oops. I am finding out that this camera is a beast compared to the d5000.. I am still learning!
  • NaftoliNaftoli Member
    yep i too upgraded from the d5000 to d7000 its definitely a step up!