Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

What do you think of LED manfrotto as a video light ?

Hello,
I'd like to have an opinion about this kind of LED manfrotto 900S to simulate video lighting and the falloff of the light in the edge. Using as a key light mainly for photography.
Is it worth it ? I know continuous light is better but the price and it's not convenient for outdoor photo.
Thank you and have a nice day
Kevin

Comments

• Hi Kevin. I use Manfrotto LED's for stills photography, and found them a convenient way of lighting people in a variety of situations. With today's higher ISO cameras, I think they are becoming an essential piece of kit and open up a number of creative options. In my experience you just need to take care where they are pointed, shadows are inevitable so you just need to watch where they fall on your subject. Yes I do think you pay a premium for the Manfrotto brand, there are plenty of more competitively priced alternatives available now.

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I don't have experience with that video light, but the specs look good: 

flicker-free dimming of the light

CRI Rating > 90

"The Color Rendering Index (CRI) is a scale from 0 to 100 percent indicating how accurate a "given" light source is at rendering color when compared to a "reference" light source. The higher the CRI, the better the color rendering ability."

This would be important for avoiding those ugly green color casts I've seen with cheaper knock-off video lights.