the Rough Guide to Tangents, the website
The Tangents blog originally started out as my personal site – planetneil – but eventually morphed into this website which contains numerous articles and tutorials on photography. Hence the name Tangents, allowing myself the freedom to write about anything I want to.
The main site is the Tangents blog itself, which is a series of somewhat unconnected articles on photography. Currently, it is a labyrinth of over 900 articles! There is a lot to explore.
The menu at the top is the obvious way to navigate this site of course, but there are also two other important methods of finding your way around: the search bar, and a listing of the articles by Category.
If you need more, below is a rough guide to what-is-where.
Neil van Niekerk
navigating the Tangents site:
The Menu at the top is the main navigation to other sections of the Tangents level.
If you want to go to my main site, click on the logo. “Photo Edu” will get you back to Tangents.
- The Tangents forum – anyone is free to ask questions and post images, and discuss photography.
- The menu also links to info about any photography workshops that I may be presenting.
- I’m the author of four books: lighting & design / direction of light / off-camera flash / on-camera flash
- Equipment reviews for Canon, Nikon and Fuji gear.
- The Store has various goodies for sale, including video tutorials.
- The Info drop-down menu gets you deeper into the site to other interesting pages.
- You can help support this site by buying photography goodies through any of the affiliate links.
On the right-hand side here, you will find:
- An affiliate link to Amazon – you can help support this site by buying stuff from Amazon through that link.
- There is also an affiliate link to B&H.
- then there is a link to sign up for the Tangents newsletter;
- Then two important methods of finding your way around:
the search bar, and a listing of the articles by Category.
- a list of the gear I shoot with and gear I would recommend
- thematically grouped index pages, bringing some kind of structure to all the articles, including:
- the main articles on flash photography, each with links deeper into the Tangents site itself
And all this will set you well on your way to delve deeper into this site.
The front page of Tangents contains the latest 10 blog posts, with navigation at the bottom of the page to older blog posts. Each successive page of 10 blog posts then too has links to older or newer blog posts.
elsewhere on this site:
Tangents is only a part of my main website, which can be accessed via the logo at the top. The main site also shows categories of photography I do, and the blog showing the most recent weddings and portrait sessions. And if anyone is curious, my bio.
keeping in touch:
If you’d like to stay informed about new articles on Tangents, then you could subscribe to the monthly newsletter, or you could subscribe to the RSS feed. Or just have a regular look-in, since there is always something new.