Flash photography workshops – NJ / NYC
Th focus with these workshops are on using speedlites indoors and on location. They are full-day events – and are a mixture of seminar presentation and practical shooting. The workshops will be held at my studio space in NJ. There is free parking, and it is easily reached from the main highways in the area. There is also regular bus transport from New York. (We can fetch you from the local bus terminal.) Lunch and refreshments are included!
The $600 fee for the full-day workshop is due at the time of registration. Each workshop is limited to 6 people only. This way I can make sure of individual attention to each photographer, and allow everyone plenty of time to work with the models and to get personal feedback.
The flash photography workshops for 2017 will take place on:
- May 28, 2017 (Sunday) – NJ – 4 spots left
- Sept 24, 2017 (Sunday) – NJ
Photography workshop – (9 am until 8 pm) – $600
Discussion of techniques
The day will start with a slideshow presentation, covering the technical stuff we need to know. I will answer all questions, and thoroughly cover a variety of topics, which will include:
- TTL / Auto flash .. vs .. manual flash
- Exposure metering for ambient light
- Maximum flash sync speed
- High-speed flash sync
- Adding fill-flash to available light outdoors
- Flash indoors
- Directional bounce flash
- Dragging the shutter
- Tungsten light & flash
- Dealing with harsh sunlight
Much of the workshop will be with your camera in your hands – with shooting indoors and outdoors, we get to reinforce the information presented during the seminar portions. There will be 2 models available during the photo sessions, and each attendee will be given the opportunity to work with the models, together and individually.
Several different lighting situations will be set up and each participant will get to practice the concepts we covered in the morning. For the on-location part of the workshop, we’ll find interesting backgrounds and set-ups, and use and practice what we had learnt. Radio triggers will be available for each attendee to use for the off-camera lighting / studio setup. The practical exercises will include:
- Metering for ambient light and fill flash
- Using TTL flash and manual flash
- Off-camera flash and a softbox (manual and TTL)
What you need for the workshop:
- Be prepared:
You will get the most out of the workshop if you are familiar with your camera’s basic operations. Make sure you know how to manually adjust your shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. Know where your in-camera metering display is, and how to read it. You need to be familiar already with concepts such as depth-of-field, as well as how choice of shutter speed would have on the sharpness of the photo. Break out the manual and review these things before the workshop, if necessary!
Your camera, a medium range zoom (hopefully f/2.8 max aperture), but if you have them, also bring a 50mm and/or an 85mm lens, your flash, whatever flash modifiers you normally use, and (of course) a CF card. If you have a battery pack for your flashgun, it would also help. Bring a 70-200mm lens as well if you have one.
- I will have the softboxes and other lighting equipment and enough wireless triggers for the group.
Workshop cancellation policy:
- Note that no refunds will be issued for cancellations inside 30 days from the date of a workshop for any reason. However, you are welcome to sell or gift your spot to someone else.
- Also note that Paypal only allows a full refund within a 60 day window. Outside of that period Paypal fees are incurred, and I won’t be able to refund the full amount.
- No refunds will be given for cancellations of workshops that have been announced as being fully booked. Once a workshop is announced as being fully booked, it stops others from bookings those spots. Therefore it would simply not be possible to refund your fees should you cancel a workshop which has been announced as being fully booked. And again, you are welcome to sell or gift your spot to someone else.
Register for a workshop – $600
Payment of fees for the workshop is via Paypal.
If you wish to pay via credit card or check, please call me at 862-485-7276
May 28, 2017 (Sunday)
Sept 24, 2017 (Sunday)
Please feel free to e-mail me or phone me at 862-485-7276, for more information about the workshops. If you’d like to be updated about upcoming workshops (and other photography news and info), then there is the monthly newsletter that you can subscribe to.
Neil van Niekerk