Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Light setup

vaenkavaenka Member
edited August 2013 in home
I'll be shooting a wedding here soon and wanted advise on what lighting setup to use. I was thinking of a setting up an flash behind directed at the couple and one more in-front for bounce flash. I'm attaching a draw up on the setup. Appreciate any input.

Comments

• well...the lighting does not look that bad to start with...so you can get away with one main light behind you...in other words, can you do on camera bounce flash to a wall behind you? If not, a large umbrella would do the trick. Based on the photo, you could skip the light behind the subjects. I don't think cross lighting is needed here....Also, I see two rotating lights-try using them for a dramatic effect by turning the 4 over-head lights off. Having some lighting going right on the bench might look good depending on the light fall off. You could potentially flag one to create a ratio. If it was me, I would keep it simple and go with a one light fill flash set up (either on or off camera) to counterbalance the top heavy light. Good luck...and I hope I was clear because I am sleep deprived.

Rudy
  • I tend to agree with Rudy - and I draw my comments from what I have learnt right here... that is use one light on or off camera bounced (flagged) and allow for the ambient to light the 'set'. I think that would work well. Plenty of examples on the Tangents blog where this has been done. I tell myself all the time not to over-complicate things and I would consider this an example of that.

Just might need to correct for the fluoro's if they will be on.
  • Thanks Guys. I will be shooting from below the stage so uncertain if on camera bounce flash would work here. I was looking to setup a kicker light 45deg behind the couple but if it is not adding much will be happy to leave that out.
  • I shot at the venue with bounce flash and wanted to share an image from the shoot. I have been a guest at many indian weddings where one off camera speedlight is setup on the stage for general fill. I tried to duplicate that here but didn't have enough space.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Great shot Vaenka. Good job of capturing that moment at just the right time. :)