Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Nikon's VR (Vibration Reduction) and image quality

mvheystmvheyst Member
edited September 2013 in home
Here is an interesting article by Nasim Mansurov:

Proof that Vibration Reduction Should First be Stabilized
http://photographylife.com/proof-that-vibration-reduction-should-first-be-stabilized#ixzz2dhDeANr2

Comments

• mvheystmvheyst Member
    edited September 2013
    Recommendations from above tests by Nasim Mansurov:
    1. Do not turn Vibration Reduction (Image Stabilization) on, unless working at shutter speeds lower than 1/focal length.
    2. Stabilize the lens before pressing the shutter, or the image quality will degrade.

Shutter speeds under 1/250s were used for the tests. Test results are preliminary.

• I have always heard and read that VR should not be used when the camera is on a tripod or it will negate the effect of VR or even worsen sharpness. The tests described in this column were all done with camera on a tripod so I wonder how reliable the results are. But it looks like an interesting examination of a variety of factors that may affect the effectiveness of VR.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Kinda makes sense to me without even having to really analyze it .. you have to give the lens and camera that momentary chance to stabilize first, before firing the shutter. There's stuff moving inside the lens! You can even feel your lens click and feel the brrrrr as the stabilization works.

So really, I'm not surprised. Good to see someone put this to scientific test.
  • On page 18 of the user manual of the Nikon Nikkor AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED
    http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/lenses/AF/AFSVR70-200_2.8G_(80)05.pdf

Notes on using vibration reduction
    ‚óŹ Wait until the image in the viewfinder stops vibrating before fully depressing the shutter release button after you have lightly pressed the shutter release button.
  • Yup, the vr is a mechanical function that must commence. Basically a gyroscope to be simple. It is quick but slamming the shutter will beat the start up time.