Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Senior Portraits outdoors

ghstinshllghstinshll Member
edited October 2013 in portraits & people
Hello all, first post here. I'm a new amateur photographer with just a D5100, kit lens, and 55-200 f4-5.6... For background on me, I am a networking engineer by trade, and pretty much live/breath tech & all thing geeky. After taking a million PnS pics of my kids with my old Olympus Ultra-Zooms, I decided to branch out into the dSLR arena. I have volunteered to shoot my cousin's daughter's Senior pix because they have a husband/dad who is terminally ill. I mean, who can afford a photographer when dad's literally dying (before 50 years of age).

I've been reading and wanting to pick up the new 50mm 1.8g from Nikon. I see it produces nice bokeh for the cost ($220 & under)

I stumbled across Neils page (posted below) and wanted to ask about the lighting...

http://neilvn.com/tangents/review-nikon-af-s-28mm-f1-8g-lens/

In this pic, would you use a flash, with a diffuser on it to light up the cute brunette model's face?

Do you leave your aperture as wide open as you can for this or close it a little?

I will also be taking these pictures in Iowa/Illinois on the Mississippi river & hope to catch some good fall colors in the background. They will be taken in the late hours, probably from 5-7PM. Any other tips or cool ideas for shooting in this light?