Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Workflow

snsandrzesnsandrze Member
edited October 2013 in home
I've been searching the site looking for workflow and backup solutions. What I'm having a hard time finding is a list of steps from capture to delivery of images. I was not necessarily looking for one post that outlines everything, however there are a few holes that i was looking for answers too and could not find.
1) After a shoot, do you take all raw photos and backup to several hard drive solutions as well as the cloud? Do you ingest with PM and rename with general info about the shoot and then start culling from there?
2) How long does it take with Backblaze to upload an entire wedding of raw photo's, or are the raw photo's not going to the cloud?
3) In some articles I see that the raw files are edited in CR and then jpeg's are made from the raw files to work on in PS. Are the raw files saved after you've made adjustments, before being converted to jpeg?

If there are articles that I have missed that someone could point me too I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited October 2013
    1] I download the RAWS to my computer, burn 2 sets of Blu-Ray, backup to 2 external HDDs. One Blu-Ray and one of the external HDDs goes up to one of my sheds away from the house, the other to a friend's place next door. Each wedding I retrieve the HDDs, back up the new wedding and so on.

I then open the RAWs in Bridge, sort/cull and rename. Neil uses PM with great success.

2] Don't use Backblaze, cannot comment.

3] This is the part that I wanted to comment mainly on with you. I edit the files in ACR or LR, but, only as far as white balance and exposure. I export them out as PSDs to then tweak in Photoshop and with a quick action and AutoLoader:
    http://www.photoshoptools.ca/AutoLoader.html
    Then I save the finally finished product as the jpegs, PSDs are then deleted.

I would strongly advise against exporting out of any raw converter in jpeg format *if* you know you are going to be tweaking in Photoshop. The reason being once converted to jpegs, the highlights and shadows are then compressed and if tweaking you may want to do something with those in the image but if already compressed you will lose more detail.

The RAW files once edited in either ACR/LR/Capture One/Aperture/or Canon/Nikon's proprietary software you will either have the xmp's of ACR or libraries of the edits. So yes, they are 'saved' and once I have edited and got the jpegs, I then will back up all of them again including the edited RAWs so I then have in effect a doubling of the RAWs but it's easy enough to put them all onto Blu-Ray & external HDD.

Oh, the files are also backed up to a 'Data Back-Up' HDD in my system, and across the network to my other PC.

Only once I am happy with the PSD file and then saved as a jpeg, then I am done and PSDs are deleted. I don't save them since each are around the 250-350Mb left in layers, and it's easy enough to duplicate what I have done.
  • I highly recommend that before you commit to a particular strategy you spend some time reading the book titled "The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers" by Peter Krogh. The book should be available at many public libraries and if they don't carry it you can ask them to do an interlibrary loan. Of course if you want to purchase it, the book is available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-DAM-Book-Management-Photographers/dp/0596523572
    The companion website for the book is: http://thedambook.com/

Krogh also has a website dedicated to best practices in Digital Photography but it isn't as detailed as the DAM Book: http://www.dpbestflow.org/
  • Trev,
    Thanks for sharing your workflow. I looked into AutoLoader and I have to say that it looks very interesting.

Jan,
    I got the pdf version of The DAM Book based on your recommendation. I have only had the chance to read the first chapter, however i did skip around to see about his recommendations for cloud storage and was not able to find any. I believe the book was written in 2009 and I'm guessing cloud storage was not as readily accessible and inexpensive as it is today.

My concern with cloud storage stems from trying several different cloud storage providers free trials to guage there upload speeds. My experience so far has been approx. 3 Mbps, at best, upload speeds. I know the bottleneck is not on my end as I have a high speed connection with regular upload speeds of 25Mbps. So far I have tried Crash Plan, Just Cloud, Back Blaze and have read reviews about many other providers with sluggish upload speeds (unless your looking to spend upwards of $100 per month). My fear is the upload won't complete in time for the next shoot to be uploaded!

Just trying to get my digital management in order so I can get back to shooting.

Thanks

Steve