Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

softbox mobility

jcgoodsonjcgoodson Member
edited October 2013 in flash & lighting
I just got my first softbox and wonder if I've set it up correctly. I can only rotate the softbox so far in a downward direction. As the picture below illustrates, the lollipop (I think that's the correct lingo) buts up against the stand preventing the softbox from rotating much farther than 10-15 degrees from vertical. Am I doing something wrong? I've had thoughts of taking a hack saw to the lollipop ...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Justin

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Why can't you turn the flash forward? (and rotate the body into proper position?)
  • I had the flash to the side for optical triggering (I assume this is the best way?). Facing the flash forward doesn't seem to alleviate the issue: the lollipop still buts in to the stand preventing it from rotating down. So, I think the issue is the length of the lollipop. But, this was a budget purchase, which makes me wonder if my setup isn't standard or if I've assembled things correctly.

Justin
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    aaah ok, that makes sense.
  • You could just cut it off just below the bracket the flash is mounted on with a hacksaw. That would allow much more movement.
  • Using a hacksaw had crossed my mind. I guess I was hoping there was a better, less permanent "solution."

Justin
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Even if it only angled down that little bit Justin, once the softbox was up high in the air where you would normally shoot with it, isn't that enough angle to put onto the subject, plus someone could always hold it down further.

Just looking at that pic you have, looks set down low but the softbox appears to have a bit of angle.

You certainly could cut off a bit, but do it an inch at a time, you will be surprised how much just that would affect the angle. The end of the lollipop hitting against the light stand would also act like a kind of self brake and add a little more stability to the set up.

You can always cut more off, but I would do a small test cut of only 1 inch [25mm] first.
  • Another way is finding a way to elevate the flash: with a second L bracket attached to the lollipop on top of the one connetting the lollipop to the stand, and the flash attached to the second L bracket. This way the first L bracket will be much lower on the lollipop, allowing more free movement