Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

COLOR CAST ON SMALL PART OF IMAGE

mayoomayoo Member
edited October 2013 in flash & lighting
The attached image is a shot of myself. But notice that color cast on my elbow. Can that be from the flash? i have been getting this exact color cast in small part of my images recently. What am i doing wrong? I always use beauty dish and small octagon for my lighting. Thanks
Oniimage

Comments

• Have you tried some shots without the flash to verify it is not the flash? Try some shots in portrait mode with and without flash and see if this is still in the same area of the frame. Try some outdoor shots without the flash. Odd that it is only on your elbow and no other colours are effected. Also have you tried a different card? Hopefully it is not your sensor which would be the last thing to look at.
  • Do you have a filter on your lens? If so, I would suggest that you remove it.

The discoloration is not a color cast, which tends to affect significant portions of a photo and not a single, localized area. Its more indicative of the type of lens flare that occurs when an inexpensive (i.e. cheap) filter is placed between the lens and the light source.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    What were your camera settings, and do you have a comparison photo without the flash so we could see the ambient levels?

I'm going to guess that there was some spotlight or room light that was bright enough still, to affect the photo.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Oh wait … I see it now (I thought you were referring to the orange cast in some portions.)
    That purple spot looks like lens flare.