Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Using someone's photo? It is OK if it is just for fun!

edited December 2013 in home
Using someones photo is Ok if it is just for fun...and you can be an arse when you get called on it.

This guy lost ALL credibility for me...

This stuff pisses me off to no avail because I have had numerous photos "used" without my consent, so has Neil, and many others. We, as photographers, should respect copyright and NOT use other peoples photos...or am I wrong here?

Rudy

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    "sharing the fun(?) with other photographers" … I don't get it either.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    If he had of posted it, along with the credits and link to the original poster's website/blog, I don't think it would have been too bad.

However, and this is the crux of the matter, as you said Rudy, nothing was attributed to the photographer and quite rightly so anyone viewing the that could have presumed the image was taken by the poster.

Yes, his opening remark in retort was an insulting statement also.
    Your reply I see is conservative and respectful, I am afraid I would not have been so generous. :-(
  • I also felt that my only two comments were were respectful. The comments eventually turned pretty ugly and the photo was deleted. There were some pretty good accusations made and someone got a lot of exercise jumping to conclusion. I never made any additional comments besides the one you see above but someone else jumped in.

Here is the screen grab to make you laugh!

Note the highlighted regions. I had no idea that I did all this with malice aforethought...
    name left out for obvious reasons...you can't make this stuff up :)
    OMG!.JPG 177.1K
  • After I just posted this, I left the meet-up group. I can-and-will-not associate with such individuals. I come here to Neil's forum often because of the level of conversations and the conduct of its members. Trev or Neil: please feel free to delete this entire conversation. While initially it was fun to laugh at such infantile remarks and behavior, I find myself being dragged down by this negativity.

rc
  • Always better to take the high road Rudy. :-)
  • I know, I know...but if you read the last letter posted, the high road seems so lonely. Just now, I read it again and marvel at the conjecture and "rubber-band" logic in it. Things like "...looking at it with a trained eye.." and "which brings me to the conclusion that Rudy....in a direct effort to attack..."
    My kids don't make such gigantic leaps in illogic and they still believe in Santa Claus and in the Shelf Elf that goes to the North Pole every night to report to the man in red.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Rudy,

In that first screengrab I don't see any mention of this statement 'because it did say photographer unknown' line in this guy's long response you just posted. Did you see that, the 'photographer unknown' part?

Oh well, I think it's been funny how something can blow up so quickly.

Like the line from Crocodile Dundee.

'Owning the land is like 2 fleas fighting over who owns the dog they live on!'
  • Trev,

you can't see what was not there. It was added later. :)

I wrote the guy a reply and tore apart his "logic". I remained nice, no name calling and wished him happy holidays...I am actually an affable guy...just ask my dogs, kids, wife and my 2 girlfriends :0

• edited December 2013
    Rudy,

Even with the best of us, me not included, Sometimes the High road takes many turns and twists. I applaud your restraint. I probably wouldn't have that restraint.