Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Portrait/Macro lens

BraveheartBraveheart Member
edited January 2014 in Nikon
I am considering investing in a prime for portrait work but to kill two birds with one stone i am thinking of getting a macro version so i can snap the details like rings etc as well.
I have a D300 (dx body) and thought maybe a 60mm 2.8 micro nikkor D or G version would do the job (90mm equivalent).
Any thoughts on this would be helpful. If you have this lens, is the bokeh nice?
Thanks
Iain.

Comments

• That would be the Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED

Yes, I have this lens on my Nikon D7000. And yes, Bokeh is quite nice. If you get the lens, you'll enjoy it thoroughly.

I also have the older 60mm F2.8 D Micro Nikkor. Bokeh also Very good. The 105mm will allow you to move back some from your subject/object. Both have 1:1 macro/Micro Capabilities.
  • BraveheartBraveheart Member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks.
    I was asking about the 60mm f/2.8
    Anyone got any thoughts?
    Cheers
    Iain
  • edited February 2014
    Braveheart said: have a D300 (dx body) and thought maybe a 60mm 2.8 micro nikkor D or G version
    would do the job (90mm equivalent).
  • edited January 2014
    Doesn't matter which way you look at it, Braveheart was asking about a 60mm lens, in which case a 105mm lens would be too long.

On a crop sensor camera it may give the same field of view as a 90mm lens on a full frame camera, but it's still a 60mm lens.

A 105mm lens would be 157mm equivalent, which is a lot longer than he was asking for.
  • hoyaterphoyaterp Member
    edited January 2014
    I'm not a Nikon shooter, but I do shoot FF and crop Canons. I think that lens would serve you well, you just need to learn to work it given your body. Looking at examples on Flickr the bokeh is good, ranging from crushed to creamy to sharp iris shapes. Looks very nice and versatile.

I should add that the crop factor only affects field of view and won't necessarily give the flattening effect of a short tele.
  • johnmottershaw said: Doesn't matter which way you look at it, Braveheart was asking about a 60mm lens
    You're correct, to a point. He asked about the 60mm F2.8D and not the 60mm F1.8, which is what i pointed out..That is all John. Wasn't referring to to Crop or FF at all, simply the lens. Perhaps I'm missing something, in any case, I've used both the 60mm F2.8D and the 105 mm F2.8 VR on my D7000, and both performed fantastically. Just with the 60mm you have to get a tad closer.
  • hoyaterp said: I should add that the crop factor only affects field of view and won't necessarily give the flattening effect of a short tele
    actually it does. I tested this myself and found that using a given FL on a crop sensor creates more compression.
    penndragonn2001 said: Perhaps I'm missing something
    and you are not missing anything. You answered his question in your first reply.
    penndragonn2001 said: I also have the older 60mm F2.8 D Micro Nikkor. Bokeh also Very good
  • So, for what i want to use the lens for, should i get the 60mm or 105mm, bearing in mind the crop factor of 1.5x ?
    I don't want to be too far away for 1/2 length portraits inside cos room size might be a limiting factor.
    Thanks again

Iain
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Iain,

For what it's worth, and you are restricted mainly to shooting indoors and limited space, get the 60mm, but I personally would get the 105 ***only if*** you have it in mind to get a Full Frame body in the future, then you are at a nice optimum, as the 60 would be too short on a FF.

It's a Catch-22 I am afraid, and a decision one ultimately has to make personally.
    We can only 'offer' our advice since it won't affect us.
  • Thanks guys.
    I'll play around with my zoom at both settings and see which works best. The 105 may be better for the details though.

Iain.