Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Transceivers

Stephen71Stephen71 Member
edited January 2014 in flash & lighting
Hi to any one out there , i just wondered if i could ask some one of which ive tried to find an answer for on internet but cant find.
In neils book direction of light page 108. About two thirds down. It states ' the flash in the soft box was mounted on a pocket wizard flextt5 transciever , i started at 1/16 power on the main light, then adjusted it from there via the flextt5 radio transmitter and master flash on my camera, '. The question is just by using the master flash only am i write in thinking this controls each independant flash unit in manual mode. And if so , does any one know how this is done . I can understand ttl mode how that works with pre flashes but not sure how it works in manual mode. U cant have pre flashes in manual mode if u got two other units set at different exsposures from the master flash . Basicaly i wondered how the slave units know how to go up and down from each other from master flash. I do hope some one knows wat im talking about. I say with jest :).

Comments

• You can program your master flash to fire your slave flash to manual or ttl modes. In manual mode, you have to set your flash values (1/64, 1/32 and so on) from your master flash for each individual slave, then you can either meter your slave flash output to get the correct exposure to create the effect that you are aiming for or you can judge by eyeing on the test photo...add more or less!

Your slaves output won't go up or down automatically since you're they are set to fire manually. It's very much like shooting with your camera on Manual Mode, you set the aperture, shutter speed and iso. This settings won't change no matter how bright or how dark your exposure is. Hope this helps!
  • Stephen, I think you are conflating two different concepts: TTL vs. Manual flash output, *and* Master/Slave flashgun control.

As Rick said, you can still use your Master/Slave setup in manual flash mode. In this case, there won't be TTL pre-flashes (for the camera to meter the resulting light and adjust accordingly) but there will be master-to-slave communication flashes for your desired manual flash output levels to be transmitted to the remote flashes. Different slaves having differing flash output levels is accomplished through grouping. Group A can be set to one manual power output, Group B to a different power output, controlled from the master flash. But again, these commands are still communicated from the master via "pre-flash" flashes (in Nikon CLS).

However (to complicate things a tad...) based on your quote from Neil's book, the setup was ever-so-slightly different from what I just described. Neil is still saying that he was controlling the remote flash in manual mode from a master on his camera. However, with a pair of PocketWizard TT5s attached to each flash (master and slave), the manual flash output communication now takes place via radio and not the CLS flash protocol. So in this case, there actually wouldn't be pre-flash flashes, just the main flash (because of no TTL pre-flash and no CLS communication flashes).
  • Thank you guys both your feed backs have cleared some grey areas. If i dont know how these flashes send the signals to the slaves then i would be guesing its some kind of magic which is foolish. ,once again thanks
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Stephen71 said: The question is just by using the master whether this controls each independant flash unit in manual mode. And if so , does any one know how this is done .
    The Master controller (the TT5 on my camera), controls the output of any Slave flash (which has a TT5 as well), via radio signal. If I decide to use manual flash, I can set the Slave to be manual, via my Master. The actual output is done either via an AC3 generally, or could also be via a (master) flash mounted on the TT5 on my camera.

The levels are just what I decide them to be. In this case there was no TTL control.

I hope this makes sense. Rick and DaBears nailed it.
  • Thank you neil , Rick and DaBears. I can get me head around this now ,and now move on to the next page . :)