Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Which Craftsy Course?

StrayShotsStrayShots Member
edited February 2014 in home
Hi, all--pardon the ignorance of a newbie, but I searched all around this site and the web and couldn't find my answer. I've gotten a lot out of all three of Neil's books, but figured I could get even more out of his video courses. Sure, I could sign up for all of them. . .but I'd like to know which is most recent, or most pertinent to me. Does Off-Camera Flash Photography follow the earlier Portraits course--or is it the other way around? I figure I'm about half an expert since I've read the books. I've had some success using the small Lastolite EZ-box, the 8-inch one, but that requires a buddy to hold it for me, so what I'm really interested in right now is bouncing flash to get a better effect. I tend to shoot a lot of local bands on-stage; I hate to use flash there but I want to be able to step outside for a quick group portrait. Bounce seems like my friend. So: where should I start? (And which forum should I have put this in? Which category? I'll get wiser. . . .)

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    The Portraits course is with on-camera flash.
    Both those courses are meant to be stand-alone courses, so there is a little bit of overlap in the material.

It was a decision I had to make with Craftsy - make the Off-camera flash a follow-up course, thereby kind of requiring people to get both … or make them stand-alone courses. In terms of which is most recent - we shot them back-to-back. They are both up-to-date and recent.

From your description, it sounds like the Portraits with On-Camera Flash, is the one that would help you most.
    edited February 2014
    For anyone else who is curious, the details and links are in the Tangents Store.
  • Well, my father was right: I am an idiot. Didn't see the words "on-camera" and "off-camera". Definitely the one I want is the Portraits course. Just bought it. Thanks.
  • Hi stayshots. I had purchased both course / off and on camera. And have to say they were well worth the buy along side the books big time . If u can get this on i pad its even better and u can refer from book to crafty in a flip. The great thing about craftys is that if your unsure of what neil had said u can repeat a dozen times and more with out anoying the tutor ( joke ) any way good luck stayshots
  • Thanks, Stephen. I've watched the first few lessons of the on-camera (Master Portrait) course and I completely agree. Well worth the money. Reading is all well and good, but it's equally helpful to have someone show you the steps, the process, the results. I agree about the iPad app--it works surprisingly well. I'll probably start the other course when I finish this one. I've watched a lot of courses on Lynda.com and KelbyTraining and this equals or beats them all. As you know--anyway, thanks for your advice.
    edited February 2014
    and if I may use this opportunity to pimp my Craftsy classes out:
    (These have the 25% discount for the people who follow the Tangents blog.)

Off-Camera Flash Photography Portraits with an On-Camera Speedlight

Wedding Photography Wedding Photography
  • As you should! Pimp your courses, I mean.

I've been reading about various flash techniques for about as long as I've had a dSLR now--at least since '08. I've read Scott Kelby, Joe McNally and Syl Arena, and I've watched video courses on Lynda.com and KelbyTraining.com and all over YouTube. I got more useful, applicable info out of your books than any of the others, and I wanted to see the video course because I felt you had the best strategy or method or whatever. Turns out you've got the best teaching style, too! If I haven't written this before: to all you who are on the fence about buying the video course: do it. Hey, it comes with a guarantee and I'll add my (totally unenforceable) guarantee: you'll get a lot out of it.

Neil, you won't let this go to your head, will you?
    It's always good to hear, especially the stratospheric company I keep.
    Please put the word out there to other photographers! Thanks.
  • Neil... I just purchased your Off Camera Flash course as well. Looking forward to diving in tonight.

David