Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

.photography top-level domains

Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
edited February 2014 in home
I'm not sure everyone knows about this, but you can now buy .photography top-level domains.
Apparently .photos and .camera is coming as well.
You can get them through GoDaddy. (I'm not a particular fan of that idea.)

I bought .photography versions of some of the domains I own. Mostly to protect unique URLs.

One thing I noticed is that I need to add the http:// part to my web browser, otherwise it is seen as a Google search.

And here it is .. tadaaaaa!
http://tangents.photography

Comments

• Why are you not a fan GoDaddy for that application?
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Various under-handed business practices.
    For example, if you do a search for a new domain name (even on a different hosting company), but don't purchase it … and then check back a few days later, you're likely to find that the domain you were looking for, is now being occupied by a squatter - GoDaddy.
  • TrevTrev Moderator

Cannot speak for Neil, but I once bought a Domain Name from them and had it for a while as I was getting a new website built.

So, I decided to just let it ride until time for registration was due, and thought I just would not bother to renew as I had finished my new site; that's when all my troubles started.

Told them I was not renewing, they sent an email back saying that auto-deduction via Credit Card was due to take place in 30 days (READ the fine print guys, did not see 'Auto-Deduction' initially) and in order for me to cancel I would need to supply the following:

CANCELLATION REQUEST FORM

You know, all those nice things one requires for identity theft.
    IDIOTS, my Credit Card had expired before auto-deduction was to take place (I would have cancelled if need be) so good luck with that.

I first got the Domain Name on 9th December, 2010.

The time period was up, well over a year and I was still getting *&^%%& emails from the bastards requesting renewal payment.

Even when I said: Well, I guess we are at an impasse then, the credit card you have on file is expired so I shall just let it ride.

You are not taking into consideration I am in bloody Australia.

So, I am not under any circumstances about to give my details to someone whom I do not know in the States. . . plus a couple of choice words which I won't repeat here.

Finally on 18th December 2013 got a 'Cancellation Confirmation' but even then in there it said 'if this is an error to contact them'.

3 'blank' years. What a joke.

I still have all the emails from Dec 2010 to Dec 2013.

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Damn. I was busy replying before Neil had answered why, and when I posted and saw his reply, well, there you go.
    Bastards they are as far as I am concerned.

PS: Here is the cancellation.

There's also this frustrating thing from a few years back:
    http://neilvn.com/tangents/problems-with-godaddy/
    Whenever I buy domains via an auction and it is GoDaddy as the registrar, I move it to BlueHost as soon as I can.

Also, navigating GoDaddy's site is a test of your patience and intuitive skills and sheer dumb luck in clicking on stuff.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Neil vN said: Also, navigating GoDaddy's site is a test of your patience and intuitive skills and sheer dumb luck in clicking on stuff.
    Yep.

• Hmm. I'm using GoDaddy for my domaine. Zenfolio hosts my site. Thanks for the info. Very informative.