Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

editing Nikon D800 files

SkipperlangeSkipperlange Member
edited June 2014 in home
Help! I used my new D800 last night at an event and now I can't open a single one in Photoshop. I have many Photoshop versions from 3 to 6 and none will open!! Holy cow, don't tell me I have to get #7, the cloud.

By the way, I was noticing that all the photos seemed to have a greenish cast to them. What's up with that? They were not looking too sharp in LCD screen either so I'm a little concerned, but of course I haven't seen them large. I'll cross that bridge down the road.

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    CS6 should be fine. I have CS6 on my one computer and I edit D4 files on it.

Make sure that ACR is up to date. That's where your problem is, I think.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Skip,

Regarding the 'green tint' you see, apparently there are 2 trains of thought with this.

1] It's the LCD screen showing a slightly greener tint but the files should be OK, you will have to see for yourself once you update Camera RAW.

2] Nikon claims it's not the D4/D800 problem, the color is 'correct' and that it was the D3s and D3 which were 'wrong' but that seems rubbish to me as I have never noticed any 'cast' on my D3/D3s's.

Apparently some report that after use, that 'tint' goes away on the LCD as if it 'settled in', dunno, cannot verify that.

If you use your own K manually, I would certainly trial it for a few days, and also it seems you can send it back to Nikon and they will reset the settings so it displays like a D3/D3s.

Trev

PS: Make sure you have the latest firmware update also.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19004/~/d800-firmware-a:-1.10-/-b:1.10

• Thanks so much guys. I had to run out but just got back and will try updating ACR for CS6. I use CS4 but have 6 so will try that if this works.

Bummer on the green tint Trev. Thanks so much. I use Auto WB but may have to learn to use K to get color right. If you hadn't said that I would have thought it was my camera and might had returned it but if it's an issue with all the D800s no point is swapping for another. Hmm… Can't be that the D3s were 'wrong' because I have used D700 for several years and that color was fine and all of a sudden I'm looking at the LCD screen last night and I'm like 'What the heck?'
  • P. S. Holy File Size!!! No wonder everyone is getting 32G and 64G CF cards!! My 8G cards were plenty and I stuck one in the D800 last night and suddenly instead of 300 plus photos (RAW) I got only 66!!! I'm thinking maybe I hadn't erased the card but, nope, I had. Wow. Gotta get bigger cards.

• Success!! Thanks Neil and Trev. I talked to someone at Adobe as I couldn't figure out which download on the Adobe site I needed to download. She walked me thru it and I'm able to open the files in CS6. I would so prefer CS4 but she said that's a no-go with the D800 so I'm happy, I'll get used to CS6.

I opened one file so far and it does not have green tint. It was outside shot. When I'll open the under-the-tent files that looked more green I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks again.

• So, based on these specs, is it correct that the file sizes on the D4 are smaller than the D800? If so, wow, I'd rather have D4 but ouch it's twice the price.

D800: 35.9 x 24.0mm CMOS FX Format Sensor
    36.3Mp Resolution

D4:16.2Mp 36.0 x 23.9mm CMOS Sensor
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    That's part of the reason I went with the D4 bodies rather than the D800.
    I don't need crazy-resolution for weddings, and most of the work that I do.
  • I guess I'll have to pursue my dream of being a billboard photographer.

This file size sucks. Sucks space and time. Why am I lugging elephants around when all indeed is well-tuned sparrows?
  • TrevTrev Moderator

Skip,

Apparently the playback LCD is a tiny bit yellow, which seems to introduce the 'green tint' and as I suspect that will go away with use according to things I've read.

If it still looks green after using for a while on LCD you tweak the white balance a little by setting:

MENU > SHOOTING > White Balance > AUTO > right click to AUTO Normal > right click to the rainbow chart > click one down to M1 > OK.

Set M1 (or M2), and the green goes away and the LCD looks fine, but, this is purely for aesthetics, since the tweaking is for Jpeg shooting only files will be affected, but at least the image will 'look right' on LCD.

(M being Magenta which is the opposite color of Green)

Of course this only affect Auto WB which you stated you use, and since you have already opened 1 image and it looks good that way you can stop the annoying 'looking wrong' on LCD.

For the color itself on a NEF file you would be having to tweak in RAW if wrong, remember tweaking only affects Jpegs.
  • TrevTrev Moderator

regarding file sizes.

Is there an option in the D800 to res down the files, like there is in Canon you can choose RAW, Medium, Small RAW sizes. I don't think so as there is none on my D3s's, just the one RAW size.

Now, there is a work around, you could open the files in RAW, output them to a smaller Res as PSD's and work on those.

Do you know how to do that? (Don't know if you use ACR/LR/Aperture)
  • Thanks Trev, Yes, I forgot about that color grid, the D700 has one too. I was trying to boost the Blue in WB by +1 last night in hopes of softening the green, but, yes, magenta is the way to go if it's a problem in the larger photos.

There are a lot of file size options but I think only one RAW (or RAW and Jpeg….). Not smaller RAWs. I don't know how to do that work around. I use only Photoshop ACR, not LR or Aperture. One problem I noticed though just with this one event is how downloading the pix used up so much space that one or two more events without offloading quickly would be impossible.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited June 2014
    okie, here is what you do to 'resize' in ACR and then save a Preset, saves double handling if you are doing all in ACR from the get-go.

Open any RAW file in ACR, then:

1] Click on the little blue 'hyperlink' at the bottom in the middle of the ACR window

2] You will now get a new set of options, depending on which version of Photoshop you have, you can either just select a new resolution, and save it as a 'Preset/Workflow' for future use.

3] If CC (and CS6) you need to select 'Resize', then choose Long Side to put in parameters.

4] Save the preset so when you now open in ACR, you can apply that as the new Defaults.

Screenshot shows what I mean, I did a 'pretend' change on my 12.1Mp NEF file to have it 4000 pixels on the 'long side' (that means no matter the orientation, Portrait/Landscape, it will resize to 4000px on the long side and the short side will still be in the same proportions.

Now you can also see my 'new resolution' in small type as when I chose 4000px it went from 12.1Mp to 10.6Mp without any loss of resolution, just size.

You could try 5000px on the long side (if using CS6/CC) or just choose one if earlier versions and that will dramatically drop the image back for you.

Apply on import the new preset and you are good to go. Easy peasy. :)

Photoshop CS6 / CC:

Photoshop CS5 below:
  • To reduce file sizes for the D800, I generally use lossless compressed, 12-bit RAW. I could not tell the difference between it and 14-bit, and it wasn't for lack of trying. eg. Underexposing images by multiple stops and raising it later in LR. Overexposing shots and lowering it. Etc.

I personally don't really have an issue with the D800 file sizes, and I love all the resolution.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Nikonguy said: To reduce file sizes for the D800, I generally use lossless compressed, 12-bit RAW. I could not tell the difference between it and 14-bit, and it wasn't for lack of trying.
    Good point, that will also help.
  • Thanks a lot Trev. At the end if this conversion process are you left with smaller Raws or Psds? Can you batch them all at once? I guess so if you can make a preset?

Thanks Nikonguy. One problem I have is an old slow space-challenged computer. But it just keeps working well in every
    other way after many years, like I want to say eight or so. MacBook Pro. I needed new one anyway for those reasons so now even more so.
  • SkipperlangeSkipperlange Member
    edited June 2014
    The photos do not have a green cast when opened. Whew.

I am wondering if this window here shown would be a good way to reduce the file sizes. I went to it to change default resolution from 240 to 300 and then noticed this other size option. So I put one photo at 11.2 mp and it did change all to 11.2, as well as 300.

By the way, another issue I have with CS 6 is that the palette or canvas upon which photos open for editing or viewing does not disappear when you close the photo(s). So after closing the photo(s) you then have to click the red box to also close the palette. It's a huge pain. If you do not close the palette you can't see your window of photo thumbnails behind it to select new photos to work on. CS 4 does not do this. Photo open free-floating, not on a palette or background, so there's nothing else to close. I just noticed this pesky background here in my screenshot and I put some red Xs on it so you can see it. I wonder if there's a way to either not have that palette open in the first place or have it also close when you close a photo or hit 'done' in ACR.

The second image is same as first but shows with green arrow where I clicked to get this size option window.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Glad to hear no green cast. :)

I think you are misunderstanding the ACR window's job.

When you open a RAW file in Photoshop, you get the ACR window come up, it's a standalone window where you do your editing, then export out to what you want (actually it's 'Save Image/s' on bottom left).

Now, when you say 'pesky background in screenshot' that's still Photoshop, since it's opened in the background, just resize your ACR window, click on the 'Toggle Full Screen' button to fill the screen, that's all there is to it.

Regarding your finished editing and closing, no, you cannot just hit done, as that will close the entire ACR window, why not open up a few files at once, you then get a thumbnail preview film strip on the left side, where you can 'Sync' settings, etc., and edit multiple images at once.

It's a pain doing a whole lot in ACR, since you just cannot close out of the window with a lot of images opened if you have not done edits to all of them and then saved your image. You have to remember what you did last since once closed it has no 'memory' of where you opened and you have to physically select the image/s to open.

In Lightroom, it has a Catalogue, so you Import the entire folder of RAWs, edit to your heart's content, get tired, just close and when you reopen it will come back to the very last image you worked on with them all still in the preview/folder available to keep editing, or re-edit any before you 'export' your finished files.

When you have edited all the items in ACR, just click 'Save Image/s' (you must physically highlight all of them you want, the format - jpeg - PSD), choose the folder where you want them to go to, once saved click Done, that closes ACR and next time you now have to physically open the next batch to edit.

Quick way to do that, have your folder of RAWs and making sure you can see Photoshop's background, just select the RAWs you want, drag and drop them onto Photoshop's blank background, they will now all open in ACR, or from Photoshop, File/Open, navigate to folder, select, click OK/Open.

Also by clicking 'Done' in ACR, it will then save any changes either embedded in the RAW or as a separate .xmp file (very small file containing the data of changes you have made) back in the same folder where your RAWs are.

Regarding file size, I did put those images in my previous post showing you that's what you do. :)

Here is screenshot of my ACR in CS6 with images listed (thumbnails), if you only open 1 image, there is no 'list' on left like this screenshot, so you edit your first image, you then just click on the next in the list, edit and move on until you have finished the current batch of opened images, then Save/Done you are back in Photoshop.

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Regarding 'Preferences' in ACR, if you wanted to see individual .xmp files in your folder of RAWs (that way you can tell which images have been edited), click on the Preferences Tab in Menu Bar and choose what you want to see how files are handled.

This is different to any 'Presets' you may have saved.

EDIT: I just noticed in your screenshots your file size options shows they are CS5 or below, not CS6 like you say you are using. Also I can see your Camera RAW file is Version 7.4 so that belongs to CS5 or below, not V8.4.xxx for CS6/CC, which Photoshop were you using during that post/screenshots?

• Thanks Trev. Where do you see that I'm in CS5? Because I'm opening in CS6 by right clicking and highlighting CS6 and opening. In the attached screen shot you'll see how I do this. I also have arrows to the .xmps that I did away with.

The problem with the palette/background/canvas in 6 (I believe it's 6) is that it does not close when I hit 'done' with a NEF. It stays there and blocks everything, such as my folder of photos, and so I have to hit the red or yellow buttons to get rid of it so I can access my photos. I do open multiple NEFs at a time in ACR so I have the thumbnails down the side. This did not happen in CS4. In CS4, the ACR window closes when I hit 'done' (and the jpgs just opened free-floating on the desktop).

It's funny you mention the .xmp files/icons. I had been trying to get rid of them, they are like gnats opening up every time I'd open and close a file, in either CS5 or 6. Did not happen with CS4. But they are now gone! I changed that setting that you showed here to the other option.

Thanks for pointing me to the toggle switch re window size. Yes, it changes the interior window where photo is but it's the larger, entire canvas that I'm complaining about.

I did not realize that the way I discovered to shrink the file size was the same you'd shown me here. I think the window looks different or we arrived at it via a different route or sequence. Anyway, thank you for that, it looked more complicated than I think it ended up being.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. Maybe there's no way in 6 or close this outer palette automatically. I keep checking the preferences but I'm afraid of clicking too many options that I don't know what they are.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited June 2014
    The reason I questioned the version of Photoshop is because of how the Resize Option Window looks, it looks how my CS5 version (or below) looks, where you merely select a Megapixel Size. If you look at the post I did where I show how the different versions look with screenshots you will see why.

In *my* CS6 and CC Versions, you see that you have to select 'Resize' Checkbox, then you have to choose a Pixel measurement on say the 'long' side to reduce your file sizes, but when I open CS5, I get the same Resize Window Palette as your screenshots show.

So my question still stands regarding the versions, as I don't see why yours would be different regardless unless the Mac version of CS6 does that which seems odd.

Also you say that if you open CS6 in ACR and you click 'Done' on the ACR Window Palette it stays there, well on mine, as has always been the case regardless of any versions, once you click 'Done' the whole ACR Palette closes down, it does not stay open, whereas you say it does.

Then in your screenshots, I see your Camera RAW version is 7.4 which is certainly an older version if that was CS6 as in CS6 the version should be 8.4.xxx at least. Check out that link I also provided above, scroll down to CS6 and download/install that.

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date.html#notconnected

Regarding the .xmp files, when you said it did not do that in CS4, that was probably because the default setting did not have the Sidecar .xmp files specified whereas by default the versions above do.

Anyhow, hope you are sorted.

EDIT: Just had a thought before I go regarding why your CS6 Resize window would look different, it may be because of the older version of Camera RAW you are using, 7.4, whereas the latest is 8.4. Of course there is no need to download/install as it's mainly to do with being able to view RAW files from different cameras and since you can see your D800 files now, not a problem.

• Thanks Trev, yes, it's definitely CS6 and must be an older version or different for some reason, maybe because it's 7.4. I'm glad your window or palette closes down when you hit 'done' even though mine does not because I'm encouraged I'll be able to get to there. I'm thinking it's a setting somewhere to have it do that. I don't know but I'll keep trying.

As for the 7.4. I called Adobe as you know and the rep there walked me thru the update and so I assume she got me with the correct one. I did go to your link before calling but there were tons of options and I did not know which to choose.

Thanks again!