Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Oops! Windows gets the flick from HP

TrevTrev Moderator

This is interesting turn of events.

Linux based system on the way from HP?

HP says goodbye to Windows

Comments

• Maybe a last ditch effort to save the company seeing how they have been on the downward slide financially.
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/nov/21/hp-figures-bigger-problems-autonomy
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited June 2014
    No wonder a member here had all the trouble in the world trying to get a replacement (which she did, TWICE, 2 new replacement computers in total, not including the initial purchase) as the 'repairs' were a waste of time and it was not until she really had to keep demanding to speak to a 'Case Manager' before her troubles were solved.

Man, reading that article (thanks for link sovaphotos) and if the figures are correct a profit of $22 per unit, ludicrous.
  • Many and I mean Many problems can be solved simply by reinstalling windows. I come to find out that if I wipe the drive and install the Windows OS every 6 months my machines run perfect with no issues whatsoever and it runs faster. Along with a cleaning program called CCleaner that cleans all the junk off the hard drive (I run mine every night before turning it off) it runs like a fresh one directly from the factory. Those two things are a lot cheaper than buying a new one.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited June 2014
    In my post above regarding the problems it was because different stuff kept 'dying', the first brand new computer was the Graphics Card, replaced, and something else would not work, the techs actually did a complete re-install, worked good for a couple of weeks, and kept crashing, she got a replacement.

On the new one, then the Motherboard died, replaced, worked for a while, kept crashing, freezing, and after weeks of wrangling and several 'tech' visits she got another replacement.

This was initially over a new machine which was only 2-3 weeks old so all under warranty, and very reluctantly.

CCleaner, yep, agree most definitely, been using it for years, and I too run it every single night before bed.

Another thing also is my system is never turned off except for 2 things, reboot after MS updates or certain software installs if need to, or power failure, as I have my software (Karen's Replicator) backing up everything, not just images, but certain data like Photoshop .psp files (workspaces, actions, presets, plug-ins), and even full Data Drives/My Document/My Pictures.

A tech I know who is extremely good said people who keep turning off their system every time they walk away from it and then come back a couple of hours later turn it on, then off again, are much more likely to have problems then if you simply leave it running, this of course is not a problem of just turning off for a night but that's when all my stuff is backed up.
  • Spending the time to re-install the Windows operating system and the associated software is generally not an option for some people. It's time-consuming. There is software that can make an image of the hard drive (also known as ghosting), so a person can save a little time by imaging the hard drive right after the operating system and other software is installed, but the average person generally does not know much about hard drive imaging software.

In general, the more stable the OS, the better, and Linux/UNIX-based operating systems tend to last longer.
  • Trev said: A tech I know who is extremely good said people who keep turning off their system every time they walk away from it and then come back a couple of hours later turn it on, then off again, are much more likely to have problems then if you simply leave it running, this of course is not a problem of just turning off for a night but that's when all my stuff is backed up.
    Trev,

Never heard that from anyone before...I aside from my regular job and Photography, Build, repair, and troubleshoot PC's in my spare time. In all the years working on and owning Desktops and laptops, I have NEVER seen that happen. Can't chalk it up to luck. I can see if you're constantly turning it off and on, yes. but every few hours...virtually impossible unless your system is already somehow compromised. Just my 2 cents worth.

As for Linux, I dual boot my custom built pc with windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and PCLinusOS..Love Linux. For my Photography minimal needs I use windows, otherwise it's Linux.
  • Stephen said: In general, the more stable the OS, the better, and Linux/UNIX-based operating systems tend to last longer.
    They do indeed.....
  • TrevTrev Moderator

Ron,

I guess it depends on systems, I can only go by what he says, and some people are turning off/on their systems up to 6 times a day so there's always the prospect of it failing somewhere.
  • TrevTrev Moderator

Then on the other hand he once came across a PC which had never been turned off (apart from power failures I would assume) it was in an old sawmill with dust everywhere, the case was sitting on the floor and it had operated, no updates at all, just for office work, for over 7 years.

He was called to update it, but when he saw the condition he was not game to move it, he managed to clone the HDD to an external one, then opened it up and was totally amazed at how much dust it had accumulated, an old Pentium, so just goes to show how some are robust and others fall over at a sneeze.

Obviously he did not 'update' it, built a new one and put the office data back on for them.
  • edited June 2014
    Trev,

you're correct. it's for the most part a crap shoot. What happens to one pc won't, or may not happen to another pc given exactly same conditions. Electronics, plan and simple will fail; when you least expect them to or never when you thought they would have, but didn't, Your Saw Mill scenario for example.

I'd stack Linux, any distro, up against anything as far as stability goes.
  • TrevTrev Moderator

I just remembered also, that sawmill scenario, my mate told me that they had NO backup whatsoever, 7 years of records, invoices, pay slips, everything lived on the computer totally isolated in that shed/office.

He was stunned at that, and when he told the people, the penny dropped on them like a ton of bricks, the look on their faces was priceless when he explained if the drive had failed there was a good chance of no data recovery without a lot of expense and even then no guarantee. They back up now though!
  • Ah yes, those older pentium processors...work horses.. put linux on those old processors and they become lightening fast and even more stable......
  • TrevTrev Moderator

Never used Linux, heard good stuff about it though.
  • edited June 2014
    you can download the ISO file from the net, burn it to disk, any distro, and run it as a Live Cd, meaning, it doesn't install anything on your pc and runs directly from the CD. You will have full functionality so you can get a feel for it. Try it Trev, I think you'll be amazed at how well it works. it will detect and install 99 % of your hardware. Printers are a different animal. Few more steps involved. Once your a little comfortable with it, you'll really love how it works. Ubuntu Linux is a very popular one. If more vendors would make their hardware and software compatible to Linux, boy would Windows and Apple be in trouble!! Linux is 100% Free... Linux is estimated to use 1/3 of the system resources that Windows requires. That's why it runs so effectively. Linux has Distros just for people in multimedia, audio. Video, and Photo editing editions...Quite something actually. I use PCLinuxOS. Here's a link to distro page:

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Ron,

I got to the PCLinuxOS page, but totally lost, I clicked Desktop, but it gave me a series of options to download, what is the exact link I need to download.

You then say burn it to disc (Blu-Ray OK) and run from there.

Some starting pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

which one from this link I went to:

• edited July 2014
    Trev,

Sorry about the delay my friend. Go to the KDE Desktop Link...1st or 3rd from top: 3rd one is Complete with all the bells and whistles.

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/
  • edited July 2014
    After burning iso disk, load disk and reboot. Your pc should boot right into cd, even if your bios is not set to CD drive first. Option screen will come up...choose first option...Live CD...let it do it's thing, will only take a few minutes. If it asks for user name and password...user name-root, and password-root again...That simple. Really love to hear how you make out. I also like the Ubumto Linux, but this one is my favorite. Any question, just ask Trev...Again, my apologies for the delay..
  • TrevTrev Moderator

Ron,

Thanks, I had downloaded one similar but as I type I selected the one you suggested and it's downloading right now.

Shall see what happens.

Can Photoshop run on it? Would be interesting to see.

Once I have rebooted selecting it from the disc, it can open any program?

No need to apologise, I realise you have work commitments.
  • edited July 2014
    do you mean, can it open any windows program Trev?

Darktable and Aftershot Pro are probably the best Photo editing programs for Linux. And, as with all other Linux software...FREE....

Just do a search after running Live CD in repositories for packages
  • TrevTrev Moderator
  • Windows can be installed in 30 mins, it has the drivers to get you online and then the system will download all it needs with the updates which can take a few days, I'm speaking of Windows 7 and 8.1. I never run the restore discs, I wipe the hard drive totally clean (20 mins) and then install the system and download the updates and I'm done. But if you don't have just a system disc I understand.
  • hendrackhendrack Member
    edited July 2014
    When you finished setting up that linux distro it is worthwhile to check out Digikam and GIMP with the UFRaw plugin. GIMP has many useful plugins.
  • TrevTrev Moderator

Thanks Hendrack, I have not got around to it yet, it's downloaded but nothing done as I need to finish editing this wedding.

• Trev,

How did you make out today?
  • TrevTrev Moderator

Ron, I only just tried to burn to disc but get some sort of error, which I know nothing about.

Disc is 4.5G, file is 3.5G so plenty of space but says ISO file is larger than 2G so change something like UDF

I went to suggestion and it seemed to burn it then.

but I am in the middle of editing a wedding and cannot try for a couple of days, need to get this job finished and it's pretty big with lots of files to do.

• TrevTrev Moderator

Finished burning, got this:

• edited July 2014
    Trev,

go back to download page and download the smaller file...the one that's 171 GB. Even so, when you reboot your pc it should load the cd automatically....Give it a try when you can, no hurry. Just something for you to try.