Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Which Nikon wide-angle lens is best for weddings and events

shek33shek33 Member
edited June 2014 in Nikon
I have a 24-70 and the 70-200 but I am wondering do I need a wide angle for those few shots. I am considering the 14-24 and the 17-35. The prices are almost the same so that doesn't really play into my decision. I don't use filters so that doesn't work against the 14-24 but I am concerned about damaging the front element because of how it protrudes. TIA

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited June 2014

Hi Shek33,

I have those 24-70/70-200 lenses and they are my workhorse lenses for weddings.

Around a year back I got the 14-24mm and it's worth it's weight in gold, beautiful, crisp & sharp, but I admit I mainly use it for Real Estate pics and very little for weddings, but I am schooling myself at the moment to use it more for weddings, just hate swapping out lenses during a shoot as I keep the 24-70 on 1 body and 70-200 on the other.

That may be an excuse to buy a D4s now.

• shek33shek33 Member
    ty Trev, I also do a couple of architecture jobs a year so it wouldn't go to waste, but at almost $2k its big $$$$ for one or two jobs. A third body would be nice............let me run that up the flagpole!!! I am using the same setup as you but would like that ultra wide church shot now and then, maybe also on the dance floor.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    The 17-35mm f/2.8 isn't a match for the 14-24mm f/2.8 or the 16-35mm /f/4 VR lenses.

I would suggest the f/4 lens rather than the older 17-35, since the optical quality, edge-to-edge, is so much better.
  • shek33shek33 Member
    Neil,
    do you use the 14-24 for weddings??
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Rarely - and only for scene-setter shots.

I would use the 16-35mm f/4 more, but that would be a $1,200 overlap that I just don't have spare $$$ for.
  • shek33shek33 Member
    Well based on the advice here and on fm I bought a used copy that was just checked and cleaned by Nikon for $900. Cant wait to start using this puppy, ty all for the advice.