Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Anyone guess how this was done? (edited, I know the answer)

TrevTrev Moderator
edited July 2014 in technique & style & stuff
The sun over the post!

This was shot by a friend of mine, (Sheree - who gave me permission to post) and she got up early to drive to a National Park to capture very early morning sunrise/frost shots and was intrigued by this scene.

Obviously a hole in the post but she captured it beautifully.

Comments

• 18 spikes on that sunstar, created by a lens which has a 9 bladed diaphragm (you get 2 spikes for each blade in the lens). Looking at the exif, this was likely the Canon EF 24–70 mm f/2.8L II. Stop way down to a tiny aperture, and shoot away!
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Yes, I really was meaning in a 'smart way' of how the sun got "onto" the post and just thought it pretty unique to find a post with such a large hole, and getting the sun at the right time, sorry, should have worded the heading better, and not literally how the star was created.

Aperture was f16 and I edited the file for her.
  • Trev, there wasn't necessarily a hole in the post. There might have been, but sun stars have a way of taking a bite of an object especially when you position the sun right on the edge of an object like a building, tree branch, or a post like this.
  • On the edge yes, but this was most definitely a hole in the post for this.
  • Could be. Maybe Trev could ask his friend how big the hole was. Anyway, I correct an earlier statement I made: I think you get 2 spikes per aperture blade if there are an odd number of aperture blades in the diaphragm. If the lens has an even number of blades, I think you would just get that number.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited July 2014

I edited the heading, I did it to stop confusion.

Guys, there was a hole in the post, I knew that from the outset and unfortunately I was being a 'clever dick' as they say when asking 'how was this done', since it was a unique shot to get it at the right moment for only those few minutes and time of year for it to align.

Definitely could not get the sun like that 'on the post' if there was no hole, on the edge as Rudy said as I have done hundreds of times in the past with various objects.

Sheree told me it was a fairly bit tricky to half stand/squat to line it up perfectly and just after she had taken it the sun had moved too high in the sky to then 'see' it through the hole.

Hole Size: 10mm at the most, (less then 1/2 inch), she told me. It was only pretty small. I just chatted to her as I thought the hole must have been pretty large, it wasn't.

• These flares can also be placed in a photo through software.
  • TrevTrev Moderator

That is true Michael, for sure can very easily be done with a starburst brush and blend mode change with a color picker to get the color from the background to match.
  • I think I can do it on my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone.;)