Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

DXO Optics Pro 10 now out

I am a heavy user of DXO Optics Pro which is basically a raw processing engine.  In this new edition, they claim PRIME denoising is 4 times faster.  This is key as this particular denoiser would take a very long time.  I look forward to testing this product out.

Comments

• Michael, I was impressed with DXO when I downloaded the trial of version 9, the best NR I've come across in my limited experience of raw processors.
    PRIME was slow in v9 but this is a big improvement.

I ended up buying Capture One Pro V8, after taking just over 2 weeks to get to know it. Came down to this and DXO, not much between them (DXO excels in NR though).

Coming from LR, I was really surprised at the detail rendered by Capture One and DXO, IMO they both have the edge on LR for IQ.
    Really enjoying the workflow that sessions allow in Capture One.

Tony
  • MichaelVMichaelV Member
    edited November 2014
    I havent looked at Capture One.

I love DXO for its ability to take a camera beyond its limits. The BIG downside was waiting for the photos to process. It was just too slow to crank out dozens of photos on a daily basis. Another BIG downside is that DXO will not help you organize your photos. Lightroom really helps with the organizational aspect. If you do a lot of shoots than photos can get lost fast. I do know you can somehow link DXO and Lightroom together.

We shall see with this new version. I really like its abilities and I hope these housekeeping issues have been resolved.
  • I am giving a HUGE and BIG green light to this version.  I just did a batch conversion of 35 images and it completed in 6 minutes on my newish desktop machine.  Desktop is a 4470 with 32 gb of ram and a  R9 270X graphics card.  I used the PRIME mode.  Now DXO is totally workable for pro work.  Before I was receiving suggestions like "Just use DXO for your challenging pictures." because it was taking so much time...like take an hour nap kind of time. 

Now I can verify it is MUCH MUCH faster.

• MichaelVMichaelV Member
    edited November 2014
    There is also Viewpoint 2.5 which fixes problematic wide angle shots.  Check these out which I just fixed:

• After trying Optics Pro 10 out for a few days, comparing it with the earlier releases, it is considerably faster at processing. I could process about 10 photos (D800 so rather massive file size) in about 5 or 6 minutes on my laptop. It works really well alongside Lightroom, which it automatically plugs in to on installation.

You just select the photos in LR that you want to process in Optics Pro, export them and then you have a reimport to LR option afterwards, where they end up in a collection set named Optics Pro 10.

Now, I use all three above mentioned softwares (Capture One Pro/DXO Optics Pro and LR) and find that they work rather well together. Different photos benefits from different software...