Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

NEW DXO CLEARVIEW Technology

Comments

• I assume these are "after" photos. Do you have the "before" photos to compare with?
  • I was out on a yacht and when I saw how dreary it was...I took a few pictures and gave up thinking no way I could get anything good with this lighting.  I then used the new DXO Clearview feature when I got home which really took these pictures up a notch.
  • I didnt notice but the aperture was 1.4 for this one.

• I prefer your before images. To my eye (and this is only my $0.02), the edited ones look too saturated, contrasty, unnatural, and oversharpened. Visible halos are also evident in places: Note the Goldman Sachs HQ in the first photo (curved building near far left) with a halo around the building which is not in your before shot.
  • I agree with Nikonguy....maybe pull back on the saturation by 20-40%? Have you ever used NIK sofware? Love it....but don't get to use it much these days since I hardly get out to shoot land/city scape stuff anymore. NIK is among the best for local adjustments.
  • We all have our preferences.  In my case, I have been looking at this skyline for 40 years and I know exactly how its supposed to look.  Since Ive been looking at this skyline for 40 years I beg and cry for something different so I purposely turn up the saturation and contrast.  I get much wilder at times like throwing the hue or even adding something which isnt even there.  

The Goldman Sachs building is exactly how I want it to look.  A steely mirror like blue.  I know its a more drab grey.  Actually all of New York City is this faded drab color which is a bit depressing at times so throwing the colors to something not natural is preferable to my eye.  

The NYC skyline is the most over-photographed place in the world.  I think its better to photograph it un-naturally to how you want it versus than what it really is.  In my case, I would want it to look more like Shanghai or Tokyo with glowing rich colors than drab drab grey.  
  • Here is a less punchy set using a different tonality.

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Michael,

If you like the final result, that's absolutely your call. I do find the contrast personally too dark, not enough shadow details and I think the images would print a little 'muddy', but that's my take.

The pic of the skyline and especially of the boat, the whites do not reflect how I would like to see and the area below the top of the boat in shadow is not really defining the boat hull and the sea significantly enough so changed those, but left the clouds/sky alone.

I took the liberty of opening the shadows and actually even added more black believe it or not to give to 'my' eyes a better contrast. (also corrected distortion in the skyline shot).

As I said, that's just my preferences.