Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Canon DPP on iMac

I've recently bought a new 21.5 inch iMac with 8GB ram and Nvidia graphics card to process my images, prior to this I've always used Windows PCs.

I'm also a big user of Canon DPP software, but on the iMac I've noticed an odd problem.

After processing say 50 raw files (opening them, editing, saving, applying a recipe, etc. but not batch processing) the software suddenly stops working and tells it has "insufficient memory". I have to quit out of it and restart from where I left off.

I've also tried DPP on a 5k retina iMac and it does the same thing after about 50 images. I'm running the latest version 3.14.47 on both Macs.

Canon support tells me it's a hardware issue, but I'm not so sure it is given the problem appears on two independent computers.

Anyone else had this problem with DPP on a Mac? Used DPP for years on Windows and never seen this problem.

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Hi oneill17,

EDIT: Sorry, I misread the question, in a rush to go out, so removed the misleading post.

• (Trev, the OP's question regards DPP not PS.) Oneill, if you google DPP insufficient memory you will see that this seems to be a common problem, particularly if there are a lot of images in one folder (there are recommendations to split the folders with smaller numbers of images in each). I think DPP has some memory leak issues, and there is likely nothing wrong with your Mac.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Dang, sorry, I was in a hurry, and did not read it properly as I was going out, thought he processed in DPP and went to PS, my mistake, thanks.

Yes, I'd agree with NikonGuy, it does appear to be a memory leak, can you check like you used to on a PC the performance and see how much memory it's using first up, then once you edit some files, check again.

I would edit less files at a time, a pain in the arse, but probably best.
  • From what I can tell so far, it seems that after editing around 50 raw files in succession the error pops up. I quit and restart DPP and all is well, I can carry on from where I left off.

The first couple of shoots I edited on the Mac resulted in around 30 jpgs in the final output, and I didn't get the error during the editing process.

So I guess a memory leak in the software is the issue as you both say.

• You may want to look into upgrading to DPP 4. I understand it's a complete re-write of the software. Make sure your camera is a supported model, some of the older ones are not with this version.
  • Problem is I shoot on a 60D and a 6D, and only the 6D is supported at the moment.