Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

(Simple) Speedlite and Battery Question

I probably should call Canon to ask this, but I figured I would ask you guys before I did that: with a speedlite or any flashgun (I have a Canon 430EX II), does the freshness of the batteries (non-rechargeable) or the amount of charge contained (rechargeable) affect only the recycle time, or does it also affect the power output?

Thanks - Dave

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Only the recycle time, once the light comes on it should deliver the same/set/exact power you want.

The only thing is with fresher batteries is it takes less to charge up.
  • Thanks. That's what I thought, but was checking only because I was bouncing my flash using E-TTL, and wasn't getting enough light. And, it wasn't like there was a great distance between the flash and the bounce point. So I switched to manual, played around with the setting a bit, a took my photos.

Dave
  • ViccoVicco Member
    I think this is a good question.
    I tried out something similar some months ago: Batteries vs. rechargable batteries (which have a lower voltage) and no difference was visible.

So, it actually should affect only the recycling time.