Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

What would I do with the new Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art?

MichaelVMichaelV Member
edited March 2015 in the gear

It looks like the Sigma 24mm 1.4 is about to come out and I am wondering to myself...what would I do with such an animal?

When I visited Italy, I realized the need for an image stabilized 24mm 2.8 visiting the various museums and moving around Italy in general.  Tripods are not legal in Italy and the monopod was just not a suitable alternative.  One time, an official came over to me and said I couldnt use the monopod without a permit.  I couldnt speak Italian to explain the monopod was not a tripod.  Going through the various museums I was constantly searched and having a big bag full of lenses was not easy.  Also, just carrying around any equipment at all in Italy is a security risk as there are lots of petty thievery.  Therefore, I got the Canon 24mm 2.8 IS which is a nice little lens that filled the void.  The small Canon 24mm 2.8 turns the Canon 5D Mark III (minus the battery grip) into a more compact package that is easily hand-holdable.  When the Canon 24mm 2.8 IS is on the Canon body, I find I can easily stow it in my "BigPockets" vest.  This is important because the vest is more low profile than a bag and I can move quicker in the vest than with a bag around me.  

However, I wonder what I would do with the Sigma 24mm 1.4?  Its not that small or compact like the Canon 24mm 2.8 IS, it doesnt have image stabilization and 24mm is never anyones suggested portrait focal length.  I guess I could come up with some creative shots with the 1.4, but I have other things in my bag that I can do that creative photography.  Im also thinking it might be good for nightclub or concert photography.  The Sigma 24mm 1.4 IMHO is meant to be a special purpose lens for certain creative situations.  

I truly think Sigma should have been working on getting us the 24-70 2.8 IS of our dreams which I suspect will be as beast-like as the other offerings which have been great optically, but now we have to do our pushups and stretching in the morning to make sure we have what it takes to carry their offerings around.  

So I ponder this new lens.  

BTW, if you ever feel the need of doing portraits with a 24mm or other wide angle DXO has a program called ViewPoint where you can cure the issue of distortion making your models appear a bit better.  There are other programs too, I know, but I have taken a liking to the DXO variety of software solutions.  

Since I dont have the budget to get a truly wide angle prime or zoom like the new Canon 11-24 which costs about as much as a well used older car, I use the Sigma 15mm Fisheye and the DXO software to convert the fisheye to a regular picture.  Lets just say, it works well enough.