Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

On Camera Flash and Neils Craftsy Video lessons

I stumbled upon this site months ago and immediately added it to my bookmarks. I read thru the Tangents and Forum without fail everyday..several times a day! I have purchased all the ebooks and this morning purchased Neils Craftsy On-Camera Lesson. Wow! This is just what I needed as a visual learner. I am only on clip #3 and I am so thrilled. Neil, you have such a wonderful way of explaining in detail and making it so easy to understand. 
After calling myself the dreaded "natural light" photographer for so many years I thought it was high time to stop being crazy and start embracing flash.

Best $29 ever spent

Thank you!

* last nights trial with flash

Comments

• This website is a fantastic resource. so are Neil's books and all the Craftsy tutorials. worth every penny.

it was great to meet you at WPPI.

thank you so much Neil.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Julie ... thank you for the kind words. It's always great to hear that the Craftsy video tutorials and the Tangents blog and Forum are of such help. 

btw ... superb surfing photos on your website!
    And I like how diverse your range is that you tackle in photography, even including food. 
  • I was about to register for a 6-week photography class at the local technical high school, when I saw the comments about Neil's On-Camera Speedlight video tutorial. I went for the video, as it was more concentrated in the area I'm most interested in. So far, so good! Very clear explanations and very easy to follow.
  • Hi All
    I have been a big fan of neils for quite a while. Check out the B&H video's too. Neil i have a question regards using pocket wizards.I have just purchased a couple of tt5's and a nikon tt1. They work great with my d800 but there is a HUGE delay from when the shutter is pressed to the actual
    firing of the shutter... in the region of 3 to 4 seconds.. is this normal and something i need to learn to shoot for? or am i setting something wrong?
    Searching the pocket wizard site hasnt been much help, just a ton of stuff on hss!

i have been using borrowed cactus triggers and this isnt an issue with them. 

i have done all the usual things that i can think of.. updated software etc.

regards ian
    I don't have that issue at all. 
    I wonder, did you perhaps have red-eye reduction set on your camera?
    And if anyone is curious about the Craftsy Video tutorials - there's the link!
  • Hi Neil

You are a genius!! i had accidentally set the red eye reduction to on (never checked that because i never use it!)

Many thanks for your help

regards and much gratitude

Ian

do you ever plan a visit to the uk, training?
    A workshop in the UK or elsewhere .. not in the foreseeable future. 

Check my comment #2 here:  photography workshops
  • Hi Neil, i read the comments about understand that its a bit of a gamble. Guess i have to start working on the finance director (wife!) for flight tickets.

• Incidentally i love the craftsy videos, very informative.