Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Flash percentage

Hi Neil

I was watching a video on the sekonic 478 light meter and it gives a flash perecentage reading. Does this relate to the manual power settings on the speedlite such as 1/1 1/2 1/4 etc? If yes, how do you work out what is 20%, 30 % etc

Thanks

Warwick
Tagged:

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    With a light meter like the Sekonic (I have the L358) you can read the percentage of what amount of flash is being used compared to the ambient in a ratio of flash power v's ambient.

Yes, you can only use it with a Manual Mode flash (flash meters cannot correctly read TTL flash since the pre-flash will trigger a reading and if you set that reading it will be grossly under-exposed as the pre-flash is is very small) so you may set an ambient you like, set the flash, and then take a reading of what your Aperture should be, once it equals what you initially set on camera for the ambient, say it was f8.0, you need to power up/down the flash so the meter then reads f8.0.

After that is done, you then see that ratio percentage of what power the flash is contributing to the ambient, eg: 20%, 30%, and so on.

If you want it to be equal in the 50% range, you have to then lower the ambient more so the flash contributes more to get correct exposure.

Generally a good ratio I find is the 20-30% range of flash power compared to the ambient.

You can get down to a fairly small amount of flash power so it acts like a fill more than dominant, I've had mine down to 5%, just a blip but still contributing to lift especially eye sockets.

A dark and moody shot would be like the 30% ambient and 70% flash power.

Entirely up to you of course.

Trev.
  • if my failing memory serves me correctly I took a workshop and he suggested that flash be around 35%, now these were for outdoor portraits.  Not sure if that % would change for indoor and obviously it depends on what kind of look you are going for.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Which workshop was that?
  • not yours...........sorry................Joe Brady