Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Preventing Hand Injury

Hi, I am a photography enthusiast. I like to shoot people in events.
Last Sunday I was shooting a marathon, I was trying to get a much faces I could with my A6000 + 35mm with transmitter on, and bare flash on left hand. From the third hour or so, my right hand and finger joint started to feel a little painful. I got about 1500 pictures after 5 hours, which I havent finished processing...900 more to go. I have day job so couldnt do as fast as I want.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131645075@N03/sets/72157651636384919/

Is there any trick to prevent my fingers from hurting? Despite the love for photography, I am kinda worried about my hands for the years to come. How do you guys handle long hour sessions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I found that small cameras hurt my hand. 
    With a small camera, the edge of the camera (with all the weight on it), hinges *in* the palm of my hand ... and this really fatigues my hand.

I found that I need a camera the size of the D3 / D4 for my hand to be comfortable. 
    Then the weight of the camera hinges against the side or heel of the palm of my hand, not inside on my palm.
    It makes a huge difference. 

So the extra weight isn't a problem. The smaller size is. 

Maybe this is part of the issue for you, because the A6000 is a small camera which you are now just holding in one hand .. your left hand is doing something else. 
  • You can also try a wrist strap.  It would remove some of the weight from your fingers.
  • MichaelVMichaelV Member
    edited April 2015
    Haha!  It only gets worse from here.  I had the monopod with my big lens on it and the screw was too loose.  The setup jumped back at me and bit my finger.  It wasnt a bad wound, but blood all over the place.  I couldnt continue with blood leaking everywhere.  Someone ran and found a band-aid.  I learned a few lessons that day like make sure all your screws are tight and make sure you have a small first aid kit with a bandage and a bandaid.  Should you get injured by the equipment then there is still a chance of continuing...

Just be thankful there was no blood and do those hand stretching exercises.  Besides my hand, my legs and back also hurt from the equipment.  There is a photo of Peter Hurley before he got into photography which is here:

Here is a photo after:

Once you start getting into photoshop, flash photography, etc or in Hurleys case medium format...thats when you start to rapidly age.  I forewarn you.
  • The A6000 fits my hand alright I think. I have small hands, I am a relatively tiny chinese. Carefully examining where the pain is, its the middle and ring finger. I think it was too much pressure from prolonged session, as I hold the camera vertically most of the time and was pressing hard along the action. Most of the weight, although still very light compared to some DSLR, was on these 2 fingers.

I think both wrist strap and stretching can help. Thanks. On the other hand, maybe camera on a monopod with flash bracket help too?

@Michael, I dont mind looking older, as I actually do have issue with people treating me 10 years younger than I actually am. I dont want to get hurt all over my body though. I better look into more of this.
  • Just trying to inject some humor into the thread.   Although working photoshop and learning how to control the flash into the weee hours does take the youth out of me at times;)