Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Profoto B1 or B2, if you have no assistant?

StrayShotsStrayShots Member
edited April 2015 in flash & lighting
Another question after watching your excellent writeup of the B2.  You said you prefer the B1 overall.  I'm wondering, though--if you had to do a shoot without an assistant, which would be better?  I love the B1 but it's such a monster, it's hard to imagine walking around city streets with it and a softbox on a stand.

Comments

• I have the B1 and its not that big or heavy, I bet the B2 and the battery pack dangling would be more of a pita and half of the power. 
  • I totally agree with Shek33.  I have the B1 and I'm a solo shooter.  No assistant.  The B1 is the way to go.  The battery is attached to the unit and nothing dangles.  
  • Thanks, shek33 and PDH7981; good to hear from some B1 owners who've actually done it.  Still like to hear from a B2 owner, though. 
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I would say a B2 if you want to be more secure that the flash won't topple over - it is really light. 

My preference for the B1 over the B2, would mean that I would get the B1 in a heart-beat again ... and just make sure that I weight it down properly. 

This thread shows which light modifiers I use - some on my own, some with an assistant holding it. 
    I feel like the 1x3 stripbox would be less likely to blow over than an umbrella which scoops the wind. 

• Thanks, Neil.  I have a pair of the B1s and on a rational, orderly shoot they're a snap to handle alone.  I'm just wondering how they'd be on a run-and-gun like you did in the B2 review.  Not that I do all that many, so probably not worth the additional 2k. . .and I suspect my speedlights will cover most of the rare situations where I'd want that extra mobility.