Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Fame! I get name-checked along with Annie Leibowitz and Ralph Lauren

Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
edited January 2016 in news & discussions
From this Cragslist posting: 

Lightroom/Photoshop editor needed (Tarrytown/work from your home)

compensation: 125 to 200 per project
part-time

Busy Photography studio seeks responsible fast editor with great command of Lightroom, Photoshop & Aperture to color correct Wedding Photographs. There may also be some culling & photoshop work. This is a great opportunity for a responsible self starter who wants to work from home, yet be part of a team and easily adept to a photography studios editing style and taste.  

Please send us a short bio and links to your edit samples and or website. 

We're partial to a classic clean look. We love the branding of Ralph Lauren and photographers like Mario Testino, Annie Lebowitz, Danny Clinch and the wedding photos of Brian Dorsey & Neil Van Niekerk

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited June 2015

rare air indeed, got your oxygen mask Neil?  :)

Nice praise though!

• Very cool. Well-deserved.
  • Awesome... congratulations.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    edited June 2015
    Nope, this isn't a big deal or anything to be congratulated for. 
    It's just amusing and random. 
    It's a Craigslist posting.
  • Well, yes I understand.  But it means you are making a difference out there.  A positive impact that other photographers who want to emulate.  I'm sure I speak for many photographers out there that are so appreciative for all you do to help us get better... specifically with understanding light and how to craft it.  I am very grateful to have found your site.  I've bought your books, purchased one of your Craftsy classes and I hope one day to set up a personalized training day with you.  
    That's true.
    And thank you for the kind compliments.
  • I agree with PDH...positive recognition matters. I see links being posted to various Facebook groups for help with on and off camera flash and frequently post these links myself....you are out there making a difference. 
  • Neil is absolutely making a difference out there. He is one of the most visible, effective, active and generous photography instructors available.

But I think the mention on the Craigslist ad did not spring from his educational activities. I think it reflects the superb quality of his portraits. Whoever wrote the ad I think aspires to be as good as what he/she saw as the best portrait photographers out there and included Neil in a short list of superstars. It mentioned branding so the ad writer seems to think Neil and the others also have a clear identity or look established with their work. And one, like PDH says, that the writer wants to emulate.
    I do agree that my work has a certain look - elegant simplicity. As I've become more experienced and become more familiar with lighting and other aspects of photography, it all just had my style converge to a more straightforward, unfussy look.

Strange how that work - the experience didn't lead to a more complex style, but rather to a simpler one.