Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Auto ISO ?

Hi Everyone 
I know everyone says stay away from it. But I did a little experimentation last week end with Auto ISO Setting . 
I was using my D3s  in Aperture Mode and Auto WB , It was almost like having  a Big point shoot . 
To be fair I was watching the Histogram and dialling Compensation and fill flash. Overall.
Back light scenes were a little tough , overall   I was quite surprised with the results.
Is it a technique work pursuing , for times when theres no time to change setting.
Most of the files only small amounts of adjustments

Any Thoughts 

Im going to try Auto ISO and Manual Camera settings Ill let you posted with  results.

Comments

• edited June 2015

I know a VERY well known Wedding Photographer who shoots weddings almost always in Auto mode, Not ,manual, not Aperture, not Shutter Priority, but full auto..Joe Buissink. Here's his site:

http://www.joebuissink.com/

1st shot is very good, #2 is a little overexposed, and #3 is underexposed and somewhat blurry.

• MichaelVMichaelV Member
    edited June 2015
    I think everyone has their own different style and way of doing things.  The best style is the one which produces results that can sell.  In terms of message forums among enthusiasts and professionals there is a certain conventional wisdom that you must go manual for everything which is not practical to the real world.  There is a reason why they put automatic settings on the camera .  The reason is because the other settings work and can be used for both business and pleasure.  They work.

When I went to these political conventions, they would have an opportunity to get a shot with a politico.  The photographer used direct flash and had the camera on auto everything.  The kind of flash which everyone seems to despise on the message boards.  That nasty in your face bare on camera flash which produced that flashlight effect.  Rather harsh and raw.  However, It worked and produced the desired result which was a photo with the politico that all could enjoy.  Not much more was needed to get the job done.  Although the photo might not pass the muster of the message board, it sold and people place those photos on their desks at work or on a wall at home.  They dont care if the camera was set to auto or if the flash was too direct.
  • NikonguyNikonguy Member
    edited June 2015
    I find auto ISO very useful for ambient light photography and I use it a lot. It saves me from needing to fiddle with ISO to center on a meter reading, and I can use exposure compensation if I want darker or brighter results. It's not for everyone or for all situations, but a lot of the time it just suits my way of shooting.

However, I don't like the way the Nikon bodies handle auto ISO when using the flash. For example, auto ISO with flash seems to love ISO 400, seemingly regardless of lighting conditions. I also find exposures to be inconsistent at times with shot to shot differences. I find I sometimes get unexplained subject overexposures with flash and auto ISO. So for these reasons, I turn off auto ISO if I'm using flash.

In ambient shooting, auto ISO is just math and it's perfectly predictable: It just adjusts ISO to center the exposure on the meter (the equivalent of you shooting in manual, setting the aperture and shutter speed, and then simply adjusting the ISO until the meter is centered).

With flash, the problem is that auto ISO has no way of figuring out the balance you want between flash and background ambient exposures. It can't read your mind, so then it's using assumptions and lookup tables, and for me, it never seems to be what I want.
  • Matrixphoto, one other thing, on the photos you posted - I looked at the exif and all of them involved high speed sync. For the first and third ones, in particular, your flash contributed basically nothing because you were at 1/2500 s and not that close to the kids. I think the photos would have been identical for those with the flash turned off. The second shot was at 1/500 s, still HSS, but you can see the effect of the flash.
  • The only time I use Auto ISO, is when I am not using my manual flash and have absolutely no time to adjust ISO.

Auto ISO + Manual flash give inconsistent exposure, resulting in more work in post.
  •  
    Hi Everyone

I was experimenting . My normal procedure is  to shoot manual. 
    My plan is to have a camera shooting bank with Auto ISO keeping the camera in manual .So i can switch back and forth in emergencies.

So far as the HSS , I know I  was tring to see what I could get away with.
    I like having shallow Depth of Field . I may have to do it post  unless some one has a better way.

matrixphoto

• I use auto ISO all the time. It's one of the key reasons why Nikon appeals over my normal Canon - when I'm out and around horse shows, covering jumping, showing, dressage, the light changes too fast to be adjusting all the time to get each sequence. Auto ISO solves that one - most of the time I simply want pretty wide open (usually f/4) and a fairly fast shutter speed. Beyond that, the camera can deal with it. 

Nikon allowing me to use exposure compensation in manual mode is really handy, and a major annoyance with Canon.

So yes, if auto ISO works for you, then use it! 
  • Joe Busissink uses "P" mode but only for ambient light. "P" mode if used right it's a great tool. The difference between "P" and "Full Auto" it's that "P" let's you adjust everything. It's different the way it works, but with little practice it can produce great results(ambient light only)especially if you are in a very fast environment. But this topic shoul be discussed in a different post!
  • I love Auto ISO for sports as well. Many times you will have the action coming from the east and then the ball transfers ownership and they are off again to the west. I'd rather make my life easier and shoot with auto for those games. And for the games that are late afternoon, and the sun is setting fast the AUTO will keep it more accurate than I can and I can still concentrate on the fast play on the field. Same with the horses, the course runs all different directions.