Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Some Help in Lightroom with Grainy/Noisy Photos

Hi - I was inside Friday night shooting a function. I was able to use f2.8 for even some table shots (that's something for another day - why was most in focus at that aperture?), but I needed 100th shutter speed because people were giving speeches and moving their arms around. So I was forced to go to 3200 ISO on a Canon T3i for a good exposure. A bunch of shots had to be cropped, so (I'm guessing) the resulting shots appear to be grainier than others because they are "zoomed in".

I don't do much more in LR other than WB and exposure adjust, crop, basic stuff. I am pretty sure I can make some of the grain go away, but I don't want to just blindly move sliders. Anyone have any suggestions, tips, or an east way to understand the noise-reduction section of LR. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Dave

Comments

• dbrunodbruno Member
    Forgot to mention the noise I'm seeing is on the JPEGs I'm hoping to deliver. I don't *think* it matters, but I used a Quality = 10, no restrictions on file size, 350 dPi, and sharpened for Glossy Prints set to High. I was told the family group shots, about 20 of them, would be printed out and framed, so that's why I set the sharpening to that.
  • dbrunodbruno Member
    Sorry to keep adding to my own post: I did notice when I processed with the "Screen Resolution" set to High, it was less grainy but "softer". Maybe for the photos I believe will not be printed out, I can reprocess and sharpen. But, getting the noise out using a LR technique would be my preference.
  • For the noise, as a start, in the develop module, just drag the luminance slider over until you see improvement. Don't go too far or details will suffer.

On exporting the photos, the 350 dpi does nothing by itself unless you specify a max dimension (ie. long side 12 inches with 300 dpi would make the long side of the exported JPG 3600 pixels). As you say, if you're not sure how the image will be used, it's best to "give all you've got" so don't limit the resolution in any way.

On why you had lots of stuff in focus at f/2.8, depth of field has a number of variables and aperture is just one. Focal length and subject distance play a big part too. So if you were using a wide angle lens and were standing back a bit, you could gets lots of DOF with that. For example, on a T3i, 18mm at f/2.8 from 10 feet away gives "acceptable sharpness" from 3.3 feet in front of the subject to 10.1 feet behind the subject.
    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
  • dbrunodbruno Member
    Thanks, Nikonguy. Yes, my next thing to dive into is DOF. Before the party, I fed a few possible scenarios into an on-line calculator, and came up with some numbers. But, I really do like to know where those numbers come from, and not just blindly plug number in and push a button, but that's just me. The results helped, but I want to know a bit more.

First stop, though, is to review my "deliverables", and reprocess to get the noise acceptable. All told, there are probably 6-10 that need a tweak.

Dave