Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Wedding day drama

I sometimes just have to quietly shake my head in bemusement at the stories that crop up about wedding day blow-outs - whether a vendor or the bride & groom, or something else happening that's out of the ordinary. 

The latest - a bride having a melt-down online about the Scottish bagpiper at her wedding, being seen with a drink later on in a photo taken by a guest. 

Such outrage - a Scotsman taking a break, with a drink in his hand. 

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    Wow, that new husband is in for one hell of a ride then isn't he.... what a bitch.

Also what a contradiction, one minute saying his playing made for her special day, then on the other accusing him it would affect his performance. WTF?

The number of times I get offered drinks by the bride and groom themselves is ridiculous, (virtually every wedding, and numerous times during the evening) but I only drink water or a softdrink because I have to drive home later and I don't want any alcohol in my blood no matter how small in case of accidents. (also we have heaps of random breath tests here - 'blow in the bag' we call it).

I agree with one commenter in that story, her 'professionle' texting in the message leaves me to wonder.

• So do you guys agree that the proper/professional way is to get unseen to eat and drink shooting an event?
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Rany The Bard ... I don't quite follow you? 
    Do you mean it is best not to be seen eating and drinking at an event?
    Ideally not that much ... but it isn't a sin. I try to be surreptitious about eating and having a cold drink. But it isn't an issue per se. 

What was an issue for me - a 2nd shooter that had his radio in his pocket, and (yellow) earbuds, listening to a sport broadcast on the radio while photographing the post-ceremony part of the event. That was a big no-no. 
  • dbrunodbruno Member
    I'm just starting to get paid for events, but whether it's a volunteer gig or a paid gig, The most I drink is water during the time I'm shooting. I'll eat if there is a specific time everyone else eats, or if it's offered at the end of the night. What makes me try to adhere to this is one time, I was volunteering at a fundraiser for a high-end art collaborative, and there was another photographer there as well. She hadn't even taken a photo and she already had a glass of wine in her hand. I'm not going to do that. Probably at the very end of the night after I have put my camera away.
  • Wow! I don't envy her husband... I've had groom / best man / father try to buy me a pint at every wedding I've done; I always say No, most I'll have is coke or lemonade.

Except once, when the father of the bride, a Scotsman no less, would not accept no for an answer, so I managed to only have a half a Guinness. He was incredibly determined!
  • The bride sounds like not only a control freak, but a retroactive control freak.

There is nothing wrong with having a glass of water at an event, out in open. But I never eat in front of clients and guests or even sip soft drink. Only at break times and out of sight. Never ever have alcohol if you are working an event, even if offered it by clients, even if the event is over and even if the clients are friends or longtime clients.