Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Canon EOS M3 Samples

MichaelVMichaelV Member
edited July 2015 in Canon
When you use the Canon EOS M3 the one thing which comes to mind...this is the EOS M that Canon should have started with.  I have the original Canon EOS M and my thoughts were it took pictures just like my old Rebel T2i...the T2i I had purchased in 2009.  So the EOS M was impressive from the standpoint that it could take APS-C pictures in a compact package, but it really offered nothing more over any of the Rebel cameras...also has a miserable battery life.  In fact, the EOS M had less abilities in ways of focus and other controls than any of the various Rebels with a bad battery life.  The EOS M was relegated to a travel camera in my bag.  

I also noticed they put a larger battery in the EOS M3.  Same battery as the Canon T6s.

Sorry Circular Polarizer fans...none on hand at the time.  Pictures processed through Lightroom 6.  No modules on DXO Optics 10 at this time for this body.

The EOS M3 really turns it up...

Manhattan-Hudson River Scenes (EOS M3+Sigma 18-35)<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Manhattan-Hudson River Scenes (EOS M3+Sigma 18-35)<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What about video? Take a look. A bit of a handheld video if you will...

Comments

• I had the EOS M for a time but sold it because its AF was so slow, I take it that this has the system which debuted in the 70D!
  • Or even ? On the end instead!
  • MichaelVMichaelV Member
    edited July 2015
    Here is the link to one shot focus speed:

When I was taking a video there was a box on Trumps face on the screen tracking him meaning constant focus and facial tracking using AI Servo.

Another feature I love is wifi transfer to my phone which is not a speedy ordeal, but I was able to do it and upload out in the field whereas before I would wait until I got home.

Clearly, not an event camera like the Canon 5D Mark III but it works with all my Canon stuff and much easier to tote around. Keep in mind Canon SL2 coming out which is the smallest DSLR and this is why the M3 isnt coming here. They figure you will buy the SL2. The SL2 you can equip with a battery grip so you have two batteries.

BTW this is the same platform as the T6 series with 24 megapixel sensor. It uses same battery as the T6. The EOS M3 and the SL2 will be the go to cameras for Canon users when they want to post on the fly. Canon 6D Mark II will also have wifi for the full framers.

For myself, the M3 is my compact camera when I cant use the 5D camera bodies.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    edited July 2015
    How did you get hold of the M3? 

[ edited to add: I see you can order them from Amazon. ]
  • They are available from European and Asian based camera stores.  So you can find them on the usual websites like Amazon and others as well.  

My understanding is the Canon SL2 is going to be smaller than the SL1 and it may not have a viewfinder like the EOS M3.  So I believe the SL2 will be the North American M3.  The SL2 is not a mirrorless camera and so it will be a tad larger, but smaller than the M3 and probably have more capabilities.

Im finding its making a wonderful day-time camera.  It should have the same electronics as the Canon Rebel T6 series.  
    edited July 2015
    tsThe Modern Luxury Apartments<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sunrise
  • I am quite impressed with the focus speed; it's a lot better than the Mk 1 I had!
  • I couldnt believe some of the snaps Im able to take. This one is right from the camera. No editing through Lightroom. Amazed at the detail, sharpness and low light abilites.

20150724094428_IMG_2043
  • danfazdanfaz Member
    Really impressive shots! Thank you for this hands-on review!
    edited July 2015
    Keep in mind this was done with the Sigma 18-35 crop sensor/APS-C lens.

Years ago I had the Canon 17-55 2.8 IS and a Rebel which I used to travel with. At the time, I thought the combo took good pictures. In 2012, the Canon 5D Mark III came out and I found the 17-55 and Rebel collecting dust. I found myself wanting to have the Mark III with me all the time because it was seriously better. I sold the Rebel/17-55 combo.

The world became more dangerous and travel robberies came on the rise especially in the islands post Haiti storm. Desperate people from Haiti would travel to the other islands and rob people of their gear. I also needed a compact camera because I found it unpractical to carry around the 5D Mark III all the time. I picked up the EOS M from B&H cheap for about 300 dollars. It took about the same pictures as my Rebel. Not awesomely impressive, but good enough.

The Sigma 18-35 I can say is way above the Canon 17-55. Although it lacks IS, I would say to find a way to deal with it either by carrying a monopod or better hand holding techniques. Canon's 24 megapixel APS-C sensor combined with DIGIC 6 is also much improved over the 18 megapixel variations.

The EOS M3 or the upcoming SL2 and 18-35 will make for a great travel or compact camera variation. I personally like a camera which doesnt look like a DSLR and more like the garden variety compact so as to appear more stealthy. I still have the EF-M 18-55 so when I really want a garden variety look I have that option.