Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Question About Lens Flare

dbrunodbruno Member
edited August 2015 in general photography
I always have a UV filter on my lenses just for protection and really nothing else. I usually purchase Hoya, even though Tiffen is less expensive, the reviews from what I have seen are not as good. I had always thought that the addition of another piece of glass on a lens was the main (only?) contributor to lens flare. However, in checking for the best current price on a Hoya Alpha MC UV 77 mm, which I have on one lens, I saw a lot of reviewers complaining that it was the filter itself causing the flare - cheaply made, poor glass, etc. Are they overlooking the fact they are adding another piece of glass - any glass - to a lens that has been optimized to not have something stuck on the end of it? I'm just curious.

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    You will often hear the counter-argument about using filters: "Why slap a cheap filter on an expensive lens?"

My mental reply is always - well then, don't use a cheap filter. 

There are filters and filters - they range hugely in price. Some good filters are as expensive as cheap lenses. So it really depends on what you put on the front of your lens. 

I keep filters on my lenses, unless I see there is a risk of flare. Then they come off. That's the beauty of screw-in filters. I can take them off as needed. 

Here's more about my take on using filters:

• So, Neil, what I gather from these two articles is that even if it's a really expensive filter, it still may have to be removed as you can get lens flare. That makes me feel OK about using Hoya filters simply for protection (IMO I don't think they are junk), and the reviewers may be mistaken a little bit.