Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Advice on Wireless Speedlights

I have three Canon Speedlites - 580EX II, 580EX, and 430EX II. I don't do a lot of off-camera lighting, but I do notice the bit of limitation when I am outside using the 580EX II as a master to trigger the others via line-of-sight. Since I don't do a lot of this, I think it would be totally foolish financially to replace these with the new 600s that have built-in wireless.

I think a good solution would be to purchase the Yongnuo transmitter/receiver pair, but I could use a little advice. I've seen something posted here a while back, but can't seem to find it. Is there a transmitter that has a display? If this company makes one without a display, am I really limiting myself, or is it just a matter of convenience?

Any and all advice or opinions are appreciated. I really am trying to branch out a bit more and take (or find) jobs that require off-camera portrait lighting, and don't want to be stuck with flashes not firing.

Dave

Comments

• Yongnuo YN600EX-RT Wireless Flash Speedlite

So, in a related post, I see this advertised, brand new, on EBay. Actually two of them for $249 from China.

What I worry about with buying an off-brand flash: I like to control the flash functions from my camera's menu, not on the Speedlite display.

Does anyone know if  you can control these from the camera, like you can a Canon 580, 430, etc.?

Dave

• I really like Pocket Wizards.
  • Skip - I know they are good, but I should have put in the words "budget friendly" when asking about these controllers and Speedlites from Yongnuo.
  • I also have 3 speedlites, I bought 2 pairs of the YN622C transceivers and a  YN622C TX which has the display and will allow you to control upto 3 groups of lights (either manual, TTL or mixed).
  • I have few 622c and 622c-tx. They work flawless. The only issue I have is that 622c-tx have full control over OCF only if mounted on a hotshoe and I can't install on camera flash on top of it. If conected to PC sync port, will trigger OCF's,control them on M and even on ETTL. But it will not change FEC for OCF's on ETTL. It will stay fixed at 0. But I want my OCF's on M anyway.
    YN622c-tx is a transmitter only. It has a nice display that show all 3 groups, very easy to control power, FEC and even flash zoom(auto and manual). You can even use it unattached to your camera like a remote ctrl. But you have to install 622c on camera to trigger the flashes. Again, no FEC in ettl. It will adjust the power in manual.
    Regarding YN600-rt I've just got one yesterday and still testing. Only issue so far is that you have to push a little button before you can adjust FEC or output power. With yn-565 and 568 you can just push the buttons in the middle of the flash. With 600-rt I use on-camera control for FEC by customising "SET" button on camera(6D).
  • mgmotomx_250 I have recently bought the yn600ex-rt and have a couple of the yn568ex, for triggers I have a yn622c-tx and a yn-622c. I am trying to trigger the 600 via the 622c-tx and not having much luck, I have tried everything and now at a loss.
  • Caken, that's very odd, it looks like YN haven't made the yn600ex-rt compatible with the yn622x-tx or the yn622c's.
    It looks as though you're going to have to get the  YN-E3-RT controller for the 600ex-rt, which is a shame as I would have thought as you have that the 622's would be compatible.

• Caken, I use YN-600ex-rt on camera with 622-tx connected to PC port on camera. I use velcro to attach 622-tx on the right side of the flash. This way you can trigger 568, made adjustments or change modes. It will work on ettl but you don't have FEC. I am not sure how accurate ettl is. I use OCF on M anyway.
    If you want to use 568 on camera, then try to put your 600ex on top of 622c tranceiver. Make sure you set the channel and group right. I hope this helps.
  • juancarmenjuancarmen Member
    edited October 2015

Post Edited by Trev.

Hi juancarmen, welcome to the forums. You posted the start of a question below, but I have edited for reasons below.

"Flash Choice : I have recently purchased a Nikon SB700 flash . . ." etc.

You double posted in 2 different threads, so to keep things together, I will  re-direct your question about buying the 'wrong' flash to the actual thread which you started HERE just to keep things in the one place.  :)

Trev.