Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

working from external drives

Hello All -- My computer is slowly tanking and I'm investigating upgrade alternatives.  One option I'm considering is to store all image files on an external hard drive.  Although I realize storing files on the internal drive would allow for better performance, I wonder if there's a significant slowdown when working from an external drive.  Does anyone have any experience they could share?  Thanks!

Justin

Comments

• JC

I store all my photos and work from an external hard drive and have no issues regarding speed. I use 2 external hard drives, work from 1 hard drive and copy everything to the 2nd hard drive for redundant system.

Quin

• TrevTrev Moderator

Justin,

Bit like Quin, I have 6 internal drives, but also 2 external drives.

1 internal drive is just for the Operating System (no files on this at all)
    1 for OS back up
    1 for Data (My Documents/Images/anything at all including downloaded programs, like PS/LR, any programs I use, so I can reinstall if need be, etc. etc.)
    1 for Data back up
    1 for Photoshop Scratch Disk, empty (helps with RAM)
    1 well, empty, just sits there as a backup's backup if I need it.

What I would suggest if your computer is getting on a bit, would be to have your current 'project/work' on your main internal drive, then when completed transfer to your external drives (I take it they are the same with 1 being a backup?)

That way you can probably work that bit faster, since not all systems are the same and you could have a bottleneck reading/writing to an external drive, I cannot say as I don't know your specs.

My internal drives are SSD, and my externals are normal WD 7200's, so trying to read/write with labour intensive work would be agony, even using the latest USB 3.1 connection, and that in itself is another thing, the connection/speed, Thunderbolt, Macs, Firewire, Sata's, etc. etc. Depends on your connection Justin.

If your external drives were SSDs then I would say not a problem, but they probably aren't as external SSDs are pretty pricey for a reasonable storage amount of 1Tb or more.

Trev.