Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Nikon 70-200mm VRlll f/4

Hi Everyone! 

Wondering If anyone here owns or have owned  a Nikon 70-200mm VR lll f/4 lens?

I have the nikon 70-200mm VR ll 2.8  and its a awesome lens…but so heavy…

The fact that this f/4 model is around 800 grams about half of the size of the one I have is a starting point for me.
My camera is a Nikon D4 so when you add a 70-200 2.8 does get quite heavy especially when my wife uses it.

I'd be using this lens mainly for portraits but would like to use for general photography too.

Thank you for any Information,

Sathler

Comments

• I have the 70-200 f/4 and it is excellent - I highly recommend it. For portraits, the quality of the background blur wide open at f/4 is nice. It focuses fast and is so light in comparison to the 70-200 f/2.8 or 80-200 f/2.8. If you need f/2.8, or you want the very best (and you don't mind the extra weight), the 70-200 f/2.8 is the way to go. Otherwise, this f/4 is your lens. (My $0.02 at least.)
  • Hi Nikonguy!  

Thank you so much for your comments above about the nikon 70-200mm f/4.

I've ordered one today and it will be arriving mid next week. Can't wait!

I agree with you I think the light weight of this one will be a plus for me. I still have the 70-200mm VR ll 2.8 and it;s an AMAZING Lens as you know!
    I've taken some wonderful portraits with it of my wife and the background just melts  beautifully! 

Because I don't have very steady hands I think the f/4 one will make better photos for me.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Sathler